Worst Week in Teaching Ever?
Teaching is something I enjoy. There's something about putting a lesson together that gets me excited. The start of a new semester is an event I find myself always reveling in. This past week may have been the exception.
I'm teaching three courses this semester two of which, Human and Physical, I have taught before. The third, Geography and Development, is a brand new course to me. Teaching a new course, especially one outside of my direct area of expertise, can be a bit daunting even if I do enjoy the challenge.
Tuesday before class, I was running through my syllabus one last time before venturing off to class. Upon careful review, I noticed 2 or 3 "K-State" references. I should mention that this was only a few minutes before class. I quickly made changes to the original document and e-mailed it to the department secretary (since I don't have a printer hooked up in my office yet). This was just before 1:00pm--20 minutes before class begins. I was praying the secretary wasn't on her lunch break.
My prayer was answered.
Barbara, the secretary, printed off my syllabus for me and I ran to the copy room and punched in a code and programmed the copier for 40 copies. Being crunched for time, I ran off to my office to grab my belongings and rushed back to copy room to find a paper jam worthy of an entire episode of The Office. I grabbed the original and ran down to office begging Barbara to help me out. She was in a good mood and offered to run them to class when they were done (did I mention I offered her chocolate?).
With only seconds to spare, I made it to class to discover the following:
There were students literally sitting on the floor and in the window sills. I had mercy on my new students and kept them only for a short while passing out the syllabus after a few minutes. I figured, "No big deal. I'll just make a classroom change request", which I did and was given.
Thursday, I was ready to go with a presentation I had worked on late into the previous night. I showed up to my new classroom only to discover the following:
It will be a miracle if I make it out of this course alive.
I'm teaching three courses this semester two of which, Human and Physical, I have taught before. The third, Geography and Development, is a brand new course to me. Teaching a new course, especially one outside of my direct area of expertise, can be a bit daunting even if I do enjoy the challenge.
Tuesday before class, I was running through my syllabus one last time before venturing off to class. Upon careful review, I noticed 2 or 3 "K-State" references. I should mention that this was only a few minutes before class. I quickly made changes to the original document and e-mailed it to the department secretary (since I don't have a printer hooked up in my office yet). This was just before 1:00pm--20 minutes before class begins. I was praying the secretary wasn't on her lunch break.
My prayer was answered.
Barbara, the secretary, printed off my syllabus for me and I ran to the copy room and punched in a code and programmed the copier for 40 copies. Being crunched for time, I ran off to my office to grab my belongings and rushed back to copy room to find a paper jam worthy of an entire episode of The Office. I grabbed the original and ran down to office begging Barbara to help me out. She was in a good mood and offered to run them to class when they were done (did I mention I offered her chocolate?).
With only seconds to spare, I made it to class to discover the following:
40 Students
30 Seats
30 Seats
There were students literally sitting on the floor and in the window sills. I had mercy on my new students and kept them only for a short while passing out the syllabus after a few minutes. I figured, "No big deal. I'll just make a classroom change request", which I did and was given.
Thursday, I was ready to go with a presentation I had worked on late into the previous night. I showed up to my new classroom only to discover the following:
A classroom with no tech
(unless you count the chalk and chalkboard)
(unless you count the chalk and chalkboard)
It will be a miracle if I make it out of this course alive.


3 Comments:
John -- Hang in there. You'll do great. So are you tenure-track? Email me with your new contact info. chris.gadsdenATuscm.org
YOU Will Survive!! I'm sure you are able to go with the flow and make the most of it all and that it will all get worked out and turn out to be a great semester!
Thanks guys. Yesterday was a better. Tomorrow...may not be. After class on Tuesday, I checked out the new classroom we're moving into and it was short a couple of seats.
The adventure continues...
ps--Chris...I'm a visiting professor for the year but have a meeting with my department chair this Friday.
Post a Comment
<< Home