Saga of a Nomad

I am a recent graduate of landscape studies having explored the folklore of the Northwoods (Paul and Babe). I have been blessed with adventures that have taken me to the far corners of the world and look forward to continuing this journey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: On the road, Canada

I have made it a point in my life to continually venture into the great unknown.

Monday, August 11, 2008

Confirming my worst fears...

Once upon a time, I believed finding a good roommate was easy.

To be sure, not all my roommates have worked out. Most of these were simply a matter of timing, but some were deep seeded disagreements in lifestyles. Thankfully, most have worked out over the years.

Among the best of the best...

MIKE THE FIREFIGHTER (1 Year)...I will likely never again spend as much time in a given calendar year with one person as I did with Mike. The year we were firefighters, we lived together, worked together, and spent our free-time together. Amazingly, we were still good friends at the end of the year.

MIKE THE YOUNGER (2+ Years)...Mike was 9 years younger than me and yet I often thought I was the more immature of the two. He is an amazing individual and a good friend.

RYAN, SLAYER OF WOODLAND CRITTERS (3 Years)...If you read many of my posts, you know he worked out (even if he won't admit to the dominance of the '85 Bears!).

Before making my move to the High Plains of Wyoming, a friend suggested a young man as a potential roommate. He's an MBA student and has an amazing location (see previous post). However, in talking with him on the phone, I could tell something was odd with this one even if I couldn't put my finger on it. But I decided to go ahead and room with the guy.

The other night, Mike (my new roommate) and I were discussing a number of topics as I was packing up my things to make a quick trip to Colorado. I was traveling to Denver to take in a Rockies game and to spend some time with friends. When I shared this, Mike commented that he had never seen a baseball game.

Who hasn't seen a baseball game?! I couldn't believe it! I was shocked! Granted, baseball, as has been discussed previously on this site, might not be the most manly of sports, but it is still at least marginally a sport and a large part of Americana. But then he dropped the real bombshell...

"I DON'T LIKE FOOTBALL MUCH."

I didn't know what to say. Even now, the only words I have to offer are...

May God have mercy on his soul.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my. What will you talk about?

12:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What's your deal with Mikes?

12:23 PM  
Blogger The Bearded said...

RYAN...Not sure what we'll talk about since he thinks the Olympics are boring and stupid as well.

ps--be sure to check out my comment on your last note (previous post)

MELISSA...Not sure. If you would like to borrow one of them, feel free.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Lindsay Blake said...

ha ha ha ha ha.... first, if picked correctly, roommates can be amazing. second, baseball is totally awesome. and third, seriously, he doesn't like football? Good night now! What the heck?

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home