Saga of a Nomad

I am a recent graduate of landscape studies having explored the folklore of the Northwoods (Paul and Babe). I have been blessed with adventures that have taken me to the far corners of the world and look forward to continuing this journey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: On the road, Canada

I have made it a point in my life to continually venture into the great unknown.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Talking on the Road...

Tonight, I am thinking of a girl I shouldn't be because it's too painful not to. There are several reasons why both trains of thought are true.

Once again, I have met someone I wish I could pursue. She's new here, like me, and we met during our first day of orientation. I should note here that I skipped the first day and only showed for the dinner reception that night (a guy's gotta have priorities). Actually, there are two of us who are new to the department and somehow we were not sent information regarding Tuesday's half-day orientation. No matter, I heard it was little more than a boring round of introductions.

The reception that night was at the Dean's house. Staff, new and old alike, were introduced to one another and treated to an exceptional buffet line (say what you like about Laramie, but for a town this size, the food is second to none). I was meeting a number of interesting people (i.e. hockey fans) that night and enjoying myself. At some point just before I checked out, I was introduced to "someone you must meet!" (as I was told at the time).

The young lady I was introduced to and I hit it off almost immediately. She's a globe-trotting anthropologist and has done work for National Geographic. We sat through the next two days of training together and decided to stay in touch. Yesterday after roaming the farmers' market, we had dinner with one of her grad students.

After dinner, we dropped her student off and ventured over to her cottage. I refer to her humble abode as a 'cottage' because, in all seriousness, that's what it is. The landlord refers to it as a 'mother-in-law' dwelling. It's nice, don't get me wrong, maybe even ideal for someone new to the community, but it is cozy to say the least. We decided to talk for a while and discussed a wide-array of topics staying up well past midnight. This was all very innocent and in case you're wondering, I don't think she's interested...but I am...and wish I wasn't. This is a very similar situation as to what I referred to several posts ago. I am not sure as to why I am meeting these women and am even less sure as to why I am so interested in them.

I went to church with Noel earlier tonight. Noel attends a church I think I would attend if I lived in Colorado. I've only been there twice, but I've enjoyed it both times. I don't know if she could tell during service, but I was struggling.

After service, I made my way back to Wyoming. I had one of those long, hard, honest talks with God--the kind where you're thankful no one is present to witness. This talk kept me preoccupied a good portion of the way home.

One of the points made during the sermon tonight was why should continue talking to God if He already knows our thoughts. The pastor noted that God is interested in what we have to say because He is interested in us. And I am thankful for that.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talking to God about women while driving. The question is, have you run any red lights recently? Then I will know that you are getting comfortable with your surroundings.

8:37 PM  
Blogger The Bearded said...

I ran one on the way to church Sunday. Remind you of anything?

8:39 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Your pastor's answer to the question seems misguided. (Sorry to lock on to a minor point here.) We don't pray in order to get a message across to God that He would otherwise be ignorant of. We pray in order to enjoy a relational experience that we would otherwise be ignorant of.

10:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've got to check out this article.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/preview08/columns/story?id=3530077

2:06 PM  
Blogger The Bearded said...

CHRIS...You are right on. I re-read what I had written and think I could have worded it better. The referenced pastor is in full agreement with you.

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Humm...wow, girls...sermons...running red lights...goodness. :) I hope your thoughts aren't as heavy this week as they were last.

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home