The man they call "SAUCE"...
To say I demand commitment may be an understatement. It's a bit ironic given my allegiance to things such as political parties, but when it comes to friends, I like to think "I'm there!"
Over the past four years, I have found a handful of friends to exercise with at the Rec (my friends jokingly refer to it as my weightlifting ministry). They know I'll be there and I expect (read: demand) they be there as well. My current lifting partner has taken this to a new level.
We, his friends, refer to him simply as "Sauce". He's a young, godly man with a heart for the nations. He may not be the most athletic of individuals, but he tries and I respect him for that.
Sauce and I have set up a routine where we work out Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays. It's a great way of getting to know someone as we more-often-than-not grab a bite to eat after hitting the Rec.
A couple of weeks ago, Sauce was presented with a dilemma. He received an e-mail Tuesday reminding him of worship practice that coming Saturday. We met as usual on Wednesday and he said nothing. After mulling over his options for a couple of days, he contacted the worship leader--who is a close friend of mine--to let him know he would not be able to make worship practice. When asked "Why?", Sauce simply replied "Because John (The Bearded) is expecting me."
Choosing the medicine ball over worship practice. Some may describe it as a cult following. I call it commitment.
You're a good man, Sauce.
Over the past four years, I have found a handful of friends to exercise with at the Rec (my friends jokingly refer to it as my weightlifting ministry). They know I'll be there and I expect (read: demand) they be there as well. My current lifting partner has taken this to a new level.
We, his friends, refer to him simply as "Sauce". He's a young, godly man with a heart for the nations. He may not be the most athletic of individuals, but he tries and I respect him for that.
Sauce and I have set up a routine where we work out Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays. It's a great way of getting to know someone as we more-often-than-not grab a bite to eat after hitting the Rec.
A couple of weeks ago, Sauce was presented with a dilemma. He received an e-mail Tuesday reminding him of worship practice that coming Saturday. We met as usual on Wednesday and he said nothing. After mulling over his options for a couple of days, he contacted the worship leader--who is a close friend of mine--to let him know he would not be able to make worship practice. When asked "Why?", Sauce simply replied "Because John (The Bearded) is expecting me."
Choosing the medicine ball over worship practice. Some may describe it as a cult following. I call it commitment.
You're a good man, Sauce.
(ps--Sauce felt so obligated he had the worship leader explain to me why he wouldn't be able to make our workout time...and, yes, he made the right choice)


2 Comments:
The image of Brent responding to that phone call still makes me laugh!
so your name is john.
Post a Comment
<< Home