Saga of a Nomad

I am a recent graduate of landscape studies having explored the folklore of the Northwoods (Paul and Babe). I have been blessed with adventures that have taken me to the far corners of the world and look forward to continuing this journey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: On the road, Canada

I have made it a point in my life to continually venture into the great unknown.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Bonjour du Quebec!

This post is a bit overdue, but I need to share these stories.

Two weeks ago, I left for what very well may be my last research trip through the Northwoods. Since I would likely not get a second chance, I made the most of it. I drove over 5,300 miles in 8 days (nearly 700 a day) and made it as far as Val-d'Or, Quebec before beginning my long trek back.

While in Canada, I was on limited funds and, therefore, took advantage of Tim Hortons as much as possible. I actually really enjoy Tim Hortons, so this was more than ok with me. At one such Francophone location, I put my limited French to good use. For those of you who have traveled abroad with me, you know that I am not afraid to put whatever limited language skills I have to good use.

ME: Bonjour!
EMPLOYEE (looking like Mrs. Weasley from Harry Potter): Bonjour!
ME: Je ne parle pas Francais. Parle vous Anglais?
EMPLOYEE: Yes!
ME: Bien.

Even though she spoke perfect English, I did my best to place my order in Francais. This created a bit of a commotion as she patiently helped me practice. At one point, she wanted to know if I would like "white?" or "wheat?" I couldn't understand the French, so she switched over.

ME: Eh? (speaking my best Canadian)
EMPLOYEE: "White" or "brown"?
ME: Le 'brown'! (with a heavy French-Canadian accent)

Needless to say, I not only had the other employees, but the other customers laughing with me at this point. It was great!

The second story involves my drive back to "Soo, Michigan".

MOM, IT IS IN YOUR BEST INTEREST NOT TO READ THE FOLLOWING

I found myself in Wawa, Ontario, shortly after 10:00pm and filled up with gas and Tim Hortons (coffee and donut). The sun had just set and I was not looking forward to the 3 hour drive through moose-infested woods to "Soo, Ontario". I had had a long day of driving, over 12 hours at this point, and a number of people had warned me about the drive, a drive I had taken once before and knew to be rather hairy even during daylight hours (beautiful to be sure, but hairy none-the-less).

Mom, are you still reading this? If so, you really need to stop.

Shortly after I started up once again, I was passed by a semi and told myself this was my safe ticket out! I was tired and I figured the semi would be sure to smack the living-daylights out of any poor creature that dared venture out into the middle of our moon-lit highway. I did my best to keep up.

You know how sometimes when you take a corner to fast, the car begins to rattle? Let's just say there was a lot of this going on. If you don't know what I'm talking about, that's probably a good thing. The speedlimit through this area is 90 km (55 mph). We hit speeds in excess of 150 km (90 mph).

Long story short, we made a 3 hour trip in 2 hours. My knuckles ached and were white from gripping the wheel as hard as I had, but I was back safe and sound in Soo, Ontario. I honked and waived to the trucker as I turned to head back to the States. I was tempted to share the story with the border guard, but wisely chose to hold it to myself until now.

Mom, I really hope you didn't read this second story.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did. I'll talk to you when we're together in MN this weekend.

8:09 AM  
Blogger The Strawberry Blonde said...

Somebody's in trouble! :)

8:17 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth Hontz said...

awwwwwww lol

6:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am laughing out loud in my little cubical! Your "mom stop reading" made me want to keep reading for sure and i know my mom would have not been able to stop reading. I guess our mom's are alike in that way...or maybe all moms are! :)

7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad I didn't have a nice, large truck to follow on our doomed trip back from Topeka that fateful night when Bambi mistakenly stepped onto the highway resulting in you slandering me on this very blog for everyone to see! Call me when you are back from MN.

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home