No turning back...
My second year in AmeriCorps was a memorable 10 months of service. I was promoted to Team Leader shortly after the beginning of the year for a team of 10 delinquents. I referred to them as the "Dream Team!" I can laugh about it now, but many people bought me a beer (or two) after spending a day with my team.
Late that year, we had a project working on an archaeological site outside of Mesa Verde. One day, we were visiting other sites in the region and we found ourselves on U.S. Highway 666. No joke. "The Highway to Hell!"
Why bring this up? Yesterday, I was driving through Southwestern Ontario and crossed the River Styx. Again...no joke.
This raises a couple of questions:
1) Who names a river "Styx"? My bet: Probably the same person who marks a highway "666".
2) Should I be concerned?
Late that year, we had a project working on an archaeological site outside of Mesa Verde. One day, we were visiting other sites in the region and we found ourselves on U.S. Highway 666. No joke. "The Highway to Hell!"
Why bring this up? Yesterday, I was driving through Southwestern Ontario and crossed the River Styx. Again...no joke.
This raises a couple of questions:
1) Who names a river "Styx"? My bet: Probably the same person who marks a highway "666".
2) Should I be concerned?


2 Comments:
For those who are unaware, U.S. 666 was re-numbered as U.S. 491 sometime within the last few years. If I remember correctly, I heard someone report that the "historical" 666 shields were gone within hours after they officially changed the number. Maybe they're trophies in a few garages...
Hey, you made it into Ontario! Yay! :) What's in a name anyway?
Post a Comment
<< Home