End of an Era...
Good roommates can be tough to come by. Nearly everyone has a story to share of a past roommate that...shall we say...left much to be desired?
I've been fortunate. Although I have had a few 'winners' along the way ("Northern Exposure is the DEVIL!"), I have had three very good roommates. Roommates who I am a better person for having known.
When I was a firefighter, Mike was my roommate. We lived a crazy year, but we survived and have stories that few would believe. As firefighters, we shared a room, worked together, ate together, and hit the town together and somehow remained friends through it all. I doubt I'll ever spend as much time with one person in a given year again as I did with Mike.
I have had another roommate by the name of Mike. The second Mike and I lived together when I was in Salt Lake City. I still remember his persistent efforts to get to know me in the beginning. At first, I thought he was an idiot. I was a grad student, having just returned from the Pole, and Mike was a freshman. His mother had emphasized the importance of finding a "Godly mentor" he could learn from when he left his home in Arkansas...somehow he found me. He ended up challenging me in a number of areas (such as starting a Men's Study) and I am forever grateful for his friendship.
The most recent of the men, Ryan, left today for Colorado. By the time he returns sometime in August, I'll be living in a new residence and have a new roommate. We've been roommates for the past 3 years and have a number of tales to share ourselves (most of which involve a vehicle: running red lights, spitting on my car, hitting Bambi, etc.). He has good taste in sports and movies and knows how to make me laugh ("And you wrote...'threeve'."). I wish him the best.
I've been fortunate. Although I have had a few 'winners' along the way ("Northern Exposure is the DEVIL!"), I have had three very good roommates. Roommates who I am a better person for having known.
When I was a firefighter, Mike was my roommate. We lived a crazy year, but we survived and have stories that few would believe. As firefighters, we shared a room, worked together, ate together, and hit the town together and somehow remained friends through it all. I doubt I'll ever spend as much time with one person in a given year again as I did with Mike.
I have had another roommate by the name of Mike. The second Mike and I lived together when I was in Salt Lake City. I still remember his persistent efforts to get to know me in the beginning. At first, I thought he was an idiot. I was a grad student, having just returned from the Pole, and Mike was a freshman. His mother had emphasized the importance of finding a "Godly mentor" he could learn from when he left his home in Arkansas...somehow he found me. He ended up challenging me in a number of areas (such as starting a Men's Study) and I am forever grateful for his friendship.
The most recent of the men, Ryan, left today for Colorado. By the time he returns sometime in August, I'll be living in a new residence and have a new roommate. We've been roommates for the past 3 years and have a number of tales to share ourselves (most of which involve a vehicle: running red lights, spitting on my car, hitting Bambi, etc.). He has good taste in sports and movies and knows how to make me laugh ("And you wrote...'threeve'."). I wish him the best.


5 Comments:
Ryan have fun in CO! John hope you don't get too lonely without him. :)
I am honored to be on your good list. Things in CO have been good so far. I got a nice sunburn hiking yesterday, and my brother and I are going kayaking tomorrow. Life is tough! Talk to you later! (And what did you wager? $Texas)
This comment has been removed by the author.
Haha...that's funny, I made an INSTANT association when I saw the word "threeve"! One of my former roommates had that Celebrity Jeopardy skit on his laptop.
Looks like your senators are about one game from elimination. Is there still hope?
Post a Comment
<< Home