Sign the dotted line...
I am one who strongly resists being told I 'must' do something (think "stoplights"). The more the mob jumps on board, the more likely I'm to jump off. Point of frustration: Blogger 'made' me change my settings. We'll see whether or not it is to our liking in the near future.
Oddly enough, this is related to what I was originally going to comment on..."change" and "surrender".
This month is missions month at my church. Today, we sang songs in Japanese, Spanish, Zulu, and Korean. I had fun trying to guess what languages we were singing the songs in. For the record, I recognized the song in Japanese as being Japanese, the Spanish song as being Latin based (wasn't sure which one), and could tell the Zulu song was an African song (some of the words transfer over into Swahili), but was clueless on the Korean.
In addition to the songs, we have a number of speakers coming in to speak on the importance of overseas service and what we here at home can do to help. The speaker today works in the Ukraine and had a good message. "God wants all of us. We are to follow blindly regardless of setting." It's a familiar sermon, but one that created new imagery.
He used a football analogy which proves not only that football rules (since it can be used in church), but that he was smart. The analogy and my question:
Oddly enough, this is related to what I was originally going to comment on..."change" and "surrender".
This month is missions month at my church. Today, we sang songs in Japanese, Spanish, Zulu, and Korean. I had fun trying to guess what languages we were singing the songs in. For the record, I recognized the song in Japanese as being Japanese, the Spanish song as being Latin based (wasn't sure which one), and could tell the Zulu song was an African song (some of the words transfer over into Swahili), but was clueless on the Korean.
In addition to the songs, we have a number of speakers coming in to speak on the importance of overseas service and what we here at home can do to help. The speaker today works in the Ukraine and had a good message. "God wants all of us. We are to follow blindly regardless of setting." It's a familiar sermon, but one that created new imagery.
He used a football analogy which proves not only that football rules (since it can be used in church), but that he was smart. The analogy and my question:
Why is it that a 250+ pound linebacker, who could pummel any referee he faces in the NFL, is more likely to obey the sound of a whistle than we, as Christians, are to sumbit and trust the Lord of the universe?


2 Comments:
are we really to follow blindly? What about loving God with your whole mind? I don't know... What about that comment resonated so strongly with you?
The 'follow blindly' comment was in reference to what we are to do in those times when our faith is weak and trust wanes. Taken out of context, I can see how that statement may raise an eyebrow.
What resonated so strongly with the story? FOOTBALL! (need I say more?)
Post a Comment
<< Home