First sight...
I spent much of my South American trip sick in bed. I have traveled the world and yet, somehow, Peru got the best of me. It's never fun feeling "under the weather" and this is especially true when traveling abroad. I am thankful, very thankful, that as bad as it was that the first leg of my journey, which included Machu Picchu, was spent in a healthy state.
The hike to Machu Picchu was breathtaking. The six hour hike started off well with warm, sunny weather, but quickly changed after lunch to a downpour worthy of the Amazon basin. I was tired, wet, and drained by the time we reached the ridge overlooking the lost city of the Incas...and I wouldn't have it any other way.
There's something to be said about overcoming an obstacle placed in your path. The harder the battle, the greater the reward. Seeing Machu Picchu emerge from the cloud covered landscape for the first time was reward enough for the entire journey.
The hike to Machu Picchu was breathtaking. The six hour hike started off well with warm, sunny weather, but quickly changed after lunch to a downpour worthy of the Amazon basin. I was tired, wet, and drained by the time we reached the ridge overlooking the lost city of the Incas...and I wouldn't have it any other way.
There's something to be said about overcoming an obstacle placed in your path. The harder the battle, the greater the reward. Seeing Machu Picchu emerge from the cloud covered landscape for the first time was reward enough for the entire journey.


9 Comments:
That is an AMAZING picture! Wow! Now I'm sad I never got to see it.
I love the picture. You are so lucky to be a world traveler!
Wow. I'm suffering from a severe case of Wanderlust. I think more pictures would cure it...?
Yesterday I "lifted" the picture and we now have an 8 1/2" by 11" enlargement from my photo printer. Dad wanted me to print it out. I also typed out the text to accompany it. (I couldn't figure out how to "lift" just one blog entry.) I'm going to take the pic and text with me this morning to chorus practice and show "Aunt" Bettie and others. It's a picture to rival your South Pole one, stradling the stake driven at midnight New Years Eve New Zealand time (standing in two separate time zones--two different years).
I just saw that the time shows on the blog. I woke up early.
Sometime you should show the world the South Pole picture.
What a great perspective! (By the way, if you look up Machu Picchu on Wikipedia, there's a picture taken about 60 degrees counterclockwise from yours.) Have you ever read Nicholas Sparks' Three Weeks with My Brother? They visit Machu Picchu, and it was the first thing I thought of when I read you were headed there. Looks like it was worth while.
GEEK!!! We received your package the other day and agree with your friends--it is an amazing picture. I think the one you sent to us looks a lot clearer and the colors better than it does on your site (poss. because it is bigger?). Anyway it is pretty neat. Thanks also for the great coffee. It wakes me up in the morning!
Stunning.
If I didn't know you better (and that your sacred code as a geographer forbids such things) I would think this was a fake.
Just another wow! magnifique !!!
Post a Comment
<< Home