Songs of the Season...
An irony in writing is the more you write, the easier it becomes. I have taken several weeks off from writing to focus on the K-State shuttle service for international students (job). A lot has taken place that I would like to comment on (Brent and Jenny's wedding for one), but it's difficult to write about events that took place some time back.
Anyway...
My last post dealt with some of the more commical messages I had received ("you pick me up..."), but that was not the end of it. More recent e-mails have been in response to questions I have needed answers to, such as "Is your flight am or pm?" or "Are you reserving seats for 2 or 3 of your friends?"
Many of the students respond to my e-mails by simply answering "yes". What they are answering "yes" to, I have no idea, but at least I know they are checking their e-mail.
It has been an interesting experience.
As much of a headache as the past 3-4 weeks has been, I do consider myself fortunate to have such an influential position on campus, especially around Christmas.
It is easy to immerce oneself into the holidays without giving a second thought to the reasoning behind such times. There are two seasonal songs that have always reminded me of where my heart ought to be. One is of a boy, young and poor, who worships our Lord using the gifts he has been given. The second, which I heard on the way to church this morning, stops me dead in my tracks with a blistering line of sarcasm: "well, tonight thank God it's them...instead of you".
The two songs say much of human nature and our culture and, as much as I hate to admit it, my own nature and way of life. Rather than crushing my spirit with layers of guilt, they serve to remind me of how much can be done with the many gifts we are given. A source of inspiration as we begin a new year.
Anyway...
My last post dealt with some of the more commical messages I had received ("you pick me up..."), but that was not the end of it. More recent e-mails have been in response to questions I have needed answers to, such as "Is your flight am or pm?" or "Are you reserving seats for 2 or 3 of your friends?"
Many of the students respond to my e-mails by simply answering "yes". What they are answering "yes" to, I have no idea, but at least I know they are checking their e-mail.
It has been an interesting experience.
As much of a headache as the past 3-4 weeks has been, I do consider myself fortunate to have such an influential position on campus, especially around Christmas.
It is easy to immerce oneself into the holidays without giving a second thought to the reasoning behind such times. There are two seasonal songs that have always reminded me of where my heart ought to be. One is of a boy, young and poor, who worships our Lord using the gifts he has been given. The second, which I heard on the way to church this morning, stops me dead in my tracks with a blistering line of sarcasm: "well, tonight thank God it's them...instead of you".
The two songs say much of human nature and our culture and, as much as I hate to admit it, my own nature and way of life. Rather than crushing my spirit with layers of guilt, they serve to remind me of how much can be done with the many gifts we are given. A source of inspiration as we begin a new year.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home