Time to put the boards up...
Machu Picchu was amazing. I´ll be sure to share some pictures of the Inca ruins along with several other sites we have visited since once I return State-side.
Tomorrow morning, we are headed to the mountains to spend a couple of nights in a small rural village where many of the families do not speak Spanish. This will be interesting as I´m sure all of us will have a crash course in Quechua (local language). I´ve been doing my best to pick up some words and yet am sure there will be a lot left to gestures.
Once there, we will spend time working on a local school. As a way of saying ´thanks´, the village is planning a celebration for us the second night and I can only imagine what that will entale after spending New Year´s Eve here in Cusco.
The past several days we´ve stayed at a hotel on the main plaza. It´s been quite nice as they have a nice breakfast and a balcony that overlooks the plaza. For New Year´s, we watched as thousands gathered below and then joined them at midnight to run around the plaza three times while onlookers showered us with champagne and firecrackers (no joke...makes for an interesting run).
I guess we should have known what was coming when all of the local shops boarded up their storefronts earlier in the evening. I can only imagine what stories I will return with from the village.
Happy New Year everyone!
Tomorrow morning, we are headed to the mountains to spend a couple of nights in a small rural village where many of the families do not speak Spanish. This will be interesting as I´m sure all of us will have a crash course in Quechua (local language). I´ve been doing my best to pick up some words and yet am sure there will be a lot left to gestures.
Once there, we will spend time working on a local school. As a way of saying ´thanks´, the village is planning a celebration for us the second night and I can only imagine what that will entale after spending New Year´s Eve here in Cusco.
The past several days we´ve stayed at a hotel on the main plaza. It´s been quite nice as they have a nice breakfast and a balcony that overlooks the plaza. For New Year´s, we watched as thousands gathered below and then joined them at midnight to run around the plaza three times while onlookers showered us with champagne and firecrackers (no joke...makes for an interesting run).
I guess we should have known what was coming when all of the local shops boarded up their storefronts earlier in the evening. I can only imagine what stories I will return with from the village.
Happy New Year everyone!


1 Comments:
Seriously, my favorite New Year's ever, was spent in Chile. South Americans know how to do it right when it comes to that holiday. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home