Mountains of trees...
I enjoy teaching.
My students took their final exam today. I was blessed with a good group of students this semester. This particular course, Human Geography, was likely the last one I will teach here at K-State and it went well. I have recieved a number of complements this semester: the students applauded after my Antarctic presentation Friday (last class...that could have been the real reason), a number of e-mails over the past two weeks saying "thanks" (trying to improve their grades?), and even a handshake or two (which is always a good sign). But now the real work begins.
Every semester I ask myself, "How is it that I have so much grading to do?" My room has become a field of "trees" (or rather, "former trees"). As much as I despise them, scantrons look better and better every year.
But I know the end is in sight. Summer is just around the corner and I will soon again be looking forward to my next opportunity to step in front of a group of young impressionable students to mess with their minds.
The true joy of teaching.
My students took their final exam today. I was blessed with a good group of students this semester. This particular course, Human Geography, was likely the last one I will teach here at K-State and it went well. I have recieved a number of complements this semester: the students applauded after my Antarctic presentation Friday (last class...that could have been the real reason), a number of e-mails over the past two weeks saying "thanks" (trying to improve their grades?), and even a handshake or two (which is always a good sign). But now the real work begins.
Every semester I ask myself, "How is it that I have so much grading to do?" My room has become a field of "trees" (or rather, "former trees"). As much as I despise them, scantrons look better and better every year.
But I know the end is in sight. Summer is just around the corner and I will soon again be looking forward to my next opportunity to step in front of a group of young impressionable students to mess with their minds.
The true joy of teaching.


2 Comments:
I seem to remember applause after a talk or two at Crew. Am I mistaken?
We need to do lunch again (Rock-a-Belly). I'll give you a call later tonight.
I feel you, bearded.
I have to grade some of the crappiest philosophy papers at the end of every semester. It really is the worst part of the whole gig - painful drudgery.
And the thing is I have to go fairly easy in comparison w/ the way my papers were graded in school. I keep thinking, 'Is it just arrogance on my part or is it not the case the I NEVER turned in anything remotely this atrocious in my entire academic career?' I mean I could pull something straight out of my #!@% in about 15 minutes that would be a better paper than some of these students, who, I might add, come from wealthy suburban families, drive way better cars than mine, & seem to think they're going to go to law school, etc.
Maybe our society is getting dumb & dumberer.
Post a Comment
<< Home