Independence and Isolation...
One of the glaring differences between our American culture and most other cultures is our need of independence. We like to do things our way, to have options, and to believe destiny is within our grasp. We tend to struggle when lines have been drawn and our direction is dictated to us. I know this to be very true of myself. I bring this up because I feel as though I have been painted into a corner.
A little over two years ago, I was put in contact with a faith based organization that places academics in universities around the world in positions of their area of expertise. I was the first geographer to apply with this organization and they were every bit as excited to place me as I was to be placed.
I passed on a handful of positions I was qualified for here in the States believing I had a secure position awaiting me overseas. This, apparently, was not the case. Over the past several months, joyful anticipation has given way to disappointment and frustration. I have been left to defend for myself and with few options.
Currently, I am weighing the pros and cons of my remaining options.
The first is an international position in a remote corner of the world. This position would have me teaching English in a secluded location by myself in an area where I do not speak the local language. No teammates. No opportunities for fellowship. No possibility of advancement. All of this teaching a subject I do not enjoy teaching.
The second option would be to work at McDonald's.
I feel a calling to live and teach abroad. I also believe my calling not to be English, but rather geography.
So my question is this...Is it better to take advantage of the opportunity before me? Or to wait for the next option to appear?
Either way, my options are limited and time is running out.
A little over two years ago, I was put in contact with a faith based organization that places academics in universities around the world in positions of their area of expertise. I was the first geographer to apply with this organization and they were every bit as excited to place me as I was to be placed.
I passed on a handful of positions I was qualified for here in the States believing I had a secure position awaiting me overseas. This, apparently, was not the case. Over the past several months, joyful anticipation has given way to disappointment and frustration. I have been left to defend for myself and with few options.
Currently, I am weighing the pros and cons of my remaining options.
The first is an international position in a remote corner of the world. This position would have me teaching English in a secluded location by myself in an area where I do not speak the local language. No teammates. No opportunities for fellowship. No possibility of advancement. All of this teaching a subject I do not enjoy teaching.
The second option would be to work at McDonald's.
I feel a calling to live and teach abroad. I also believe my calling not to be English, but rather geography.
So my question is this...Is it better to take advantage of the opportunity before me? Or to wait for the next option to appear?
Either way, my options are limited and time is running out.
ps--At least there is no question with my support of the Avs! We are now in first place within our division!


6 Comments:
I wouldn't give up on your dreams. God places desires in our hearts for a reason...and that reason is not to tease us and then leave us high and dry. Since I like to have everything planned way in advance, the Lord likes to have me wait until the last possible minute, even past what I think is the last possible minute, before He brings everything together. Don't lose hope!
sometimes we have to wait...meaning take something that is kind of like a filler job but not loosing hope for the dream job. sometimes we have to take something that doesn't look like the dream because of the possibility of what it might lead to...the dream. Don't give up on the dream...I've had lots of people say I am looking for a dream and I need to be more realistic...I think I need to hold on to hope and big dreams and also be here in reality at the same time...hummm...not always so easy :)
what have you heard the Lord say?
Dude -- That english gig sounds AWFUL. Don't do it. Will it hurt you that much if you wait and enter the job market next fall? I'm assuming its too late to get some applications in now? If you wait a year, maybe a real international gig will turn up.
Want to come to Columbia and speak to our Faculty Fellowship group?
http://www.uhr.umd.edu/employment/listings.cfm?click=40%20Faculty&mode=detail&jobID=9708&listing=40%20Faculty
I know it might not be what you are looking for...but I thought I'd share anyway.
I agree you may have to take something less than ideal to hold you over...but don't stop looking for what you truly want! Good luck!
LIZARD...We're birds of the same feather. I'm thinking I may not know until December 31st where I'm supposed to be January 1st.
NOEL...I KNOW you can relate to this. Tough place to be.
HUSKER GIRL..."And the Lord spoke and said...???"
CHRIS...I really appreciate your honesty on this matter. I'd suggest lunch at Rock-a-Belly to discuss it further if you were any closer.
ELIZABETH...Oddly enough, that is a very good match! I'm thinking I may throw my name in just in case. Thanks!
Post a Comment
<< Home