The Endurance...
Today has been one of those days.
I am tired. Over the past 15 years, I have moved enough for several lifetimes. In this time span, I have had more than 60 address changes. For those who are mathematically challenged, that averages out to be one move every 3 months for 15 years.
I have been blessed with amazing adventures, and I am very grateful, but these adventures have come at a heavy price. I have become envious of those who are able to return time and again to a land they have previously called home or have an adventurous friend or spouse to share their lives with. I can make no such claims.
My moves are always new, always on my own. The friends I make will always be cherished, but they are rarely ever seen again.
I am thankful God has been at my side through thick and thin, but my faith is running on little more than fumes when I contemplate the future. Graduation will likely mean yet another step on my own to serve God.
This leads me to a question I have been wrestling with: is an obligatory step forward in faith better than staying in the boat?
South Pole, Antarctica
December 31st, 1997 and January 1st, 1998
I am tired. Over the past 15 years, I have moved enough for several lifetimes. In this time span, I have had more than 60 address changes. For those who are mathematically challenged, that averages out to be one move every 3 months for 15 years.
I have been blessed with amazing adventures, and I am very grateful, but these adventures have come at a heavy price. I have become envious of those who are able to return time and again to a land they have previously called home or have an adventurous friend or spouse to share their lives with. I can make no such claims.
My moves are always new, always on my own. The friends I make will always be cherished, but they are rarely ever seen again.
I am thankful God has been at my side through thick and thin, but my faith is running on little more than fumes when I contemplate the future. Graduation will likely mean yet another step on my own to serve God.
This leads me to a question I have been wrestling with: is an obligatory step forward in faith better than staying in the boat?
South Pole, AntarcticaDecember 31st, 1997 and January 1st, 1998


4 Comments:
Hey, my bearded friend, this may be an odd thought, but I'm wondering if a step of faith for you might actually be to stay where you are after graduation and continue building the community you have become a part of. It might not be possible in light of the job hunting situation, but it is something to think about. Anyway, just a thought.
Hi The Bearded--best friend of Jill Pole's here (and frequent blog stalker of Alethea, Joy Hennin and Correnta). Enjoyed your post. I think I'd normally have to say that the "obligatory step forward in faith" does seem a better choice than "staying in the boat"--mainly because it seems that you're going somewhere. And yet, sometimes staying in the boat is a step of faith, too. I mean, the boat can get knocked around by many storms and the courage can come in stayiing in the boat and trusting God in the midst of it...I guess, for me, it's always come down to which of those steps of faith is the Lord asking me to trust Him in.
Okay, I'll stop rambling on your comments page. :-) Hope you don't mind me weighing in.
The Bearded,
Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence? (In a boat or staying in)
If I go up to the heavens,(or around the world) you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn, (in Antarctica on different days and years)if I settle on the far side of the (Aral)sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.
-Emphasis mine
Progress comes through pain. Your faith will not grow if it is not tested. You only have authority in the storms you can rest in. Are you resting?
He will not abandon the works of His hands. Be obliged my friend. He died to give you the opportunity. Praise awaits Him!
To my anonymous friend,
"You only have authority in the storms you can rest in. Are you resting?" Tough question...the rest I seek is offered by Him alone (Ps 23).
In regards to "Progress comes through pain", I think Herb Brooks (1980 US Hockey Coach) said it best when he stated, "Great moments...are born from great opportunity."
You know me well and I know you not. Thanks for sharing an encouraging word. Praise does indeed await Him!
Post a Comment
<< Home