Platform 9¾...
Last spring nearly did me in. Taking a semester to once again enjoy life is helping my outlook. This fall is the first time I have had time to “breathe” in nearly three years. I really am enjoying myself (minus a week or two where the sports world seemed to be crumbling around me). Taking only one class does wonders in terms of reducing stress.
With my newfound extra time, I have been able to catch up with friends and a number of movies—Batman Begins last weekend (which was really great!) and War of the Worlds the weekend before. I am thankful my roommate, Ryan, has been able to take part in this as he has found himself (quote) “too busy” to take on any additional activities this semester. Doesn’t hurt that he too is a Broncos fan.
In addition to catching up on friends and movies, I have also been able to take some time to sit back and read. “Read” as in “read for fun.” As a graduate student it is easy to get caught up in the academic end of things and forget that reading can actually be fun. The last couple of years, my friends in the department and I have made several trips a semester to Barnes & Noble in Topeka just to spend a night looking at books that truly excite our interest.
This fall, in addition to “looking” at books, I am “reading” them as well. A week or two ago I finished Melville’s classic, Moby Dick. A member of my graduate committee (folklore specialist at K-State) was excited to hear that I was reading Moby Dick as she thought my research on Paul and Babe will likely take a similar turn mixing the science of logging with the tales of the ‘jacks. I think she may have something.
The reading did not stop there. Last night I finished the most recent Harry Potter leaving me one last book to complete for the semester: Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman’s Long Way Round. These later two books may not tie into my research in such a way, but they do speak equally as much of my interests as does a fourth: Yancey's The Jesus I Never Knew, which I am currently rereading with a friend.
It is a bit of a deep thought, but I think that for those who know me that these books (in addition to “The Book”) speak volumes of who I am and what I strive to be. That leaves the question: What to read next year? Any suggestions?
With my newfound extra time, I have been able to catch up with friends and a number of movies—Batman Begins last weekend (which was really great!) and War of the Worlds the weekend before. I am thankful my roommate, Ryan, has been able to take part in this as he has found himself (quote) “too busy” to take on any additional activities this semester. Doesn’t hurt that he too is a Broncos fan.
In addition to catching up on friends and movies, I have also been able to take some time to sit back and read. “Read” as in “read for fun.” As a graduate student it is easy to get caught up in the academic end of things and forget that reading can actually be fun. The last couple of years, my friends in the department and I have made several trips a semester to Barnes & Noble in Topeka just to spend a night looking at books that truly excite our interest.
This fall, in addition to “looking” at books, I am “reading” them as well. A week or two ago I finished Melville’s classic, Moby Dick. A member of my graduate committee (folklore specialist at K-State) was excited to hear that I was reading Moby Dick as she thought my research on Paul and Babe will likely take a similar turn mixing the science of logging with the tales of the ‘jacks. I think she may have something.
The reading did not stop there. Last night I finished the most recent Harry Potter leaving me one last book to complete for the semester: Ewan McGregor and Charlie Boorman’s Long Way Round. These later two books may not tie into my research in such a way, but they do speak equally as much of my interests as does a fourth: Yancey's The Jesus I Never Knew, which I am currently rereading with a friend.
It is a bit of a deep thought, but I think that for those who know me that these books (in addition to “The Book”) speak volumes of who I am and what I strive to be. That leaves the question: What to read next year? Any suggestions?


5 Comments:
John,
I think you should read:
Life Together by Bonhoeffer..... because I recommend the book to everyone, but also because I think it would give you some warm reflection on men's group (BTW I'm re-reading part of Spiritual disciplines...the fasting part)
Other than Harry Potter (which I am obsessed with) I don't read much fiction... so I can't be much help there.....I think you'd be into Holiness by JC Ryle....
Oh....I hope you raised a glass to toast our Broncos as they triumphed over the Dark Lord Al Davis and co!
Hello Bearded One! I don't know what I was thinking in church this morning, because I haven't ever read your blog. I could have sworn I had been here, but it's not familiar... Oh, the crazy twists of memory...
So - what did you think of Moby Dick? I'm not really a Melville fan myself, but hey -- it's a classic. :-) I would recommend James Fenimore Cooper's The Last of the Mohicans. It might relate to your research. Maybe. It's been a long time since I read it.
So - the Harry Potter novels, huh? What do you think of the movies? I saw #4 yesterday. It was great. I'm currently half way through the 3rd book and half way through the 4th book. (Long story involving people borrowing my books and life getting busy.) Anyway - I've been inspired to pick up the books again.
Take care and I'll try to stop by this blog on a regular basis!
~Dee Anne (aka Jill Pole)
Jake--Can't wait for today's game! As evil as what most Broncos consider the Black Hole, the true source of evil (in my opinion) will be faced today!
LET'S GO BRONCOS!!!
Jill Pole--I saw Harry Potter opening night--it was great! Dumbledore is a bit of a let down, and the film is choppy at times, but otherwise I thought the movie was well done!
The books are fast reads. My recommendation...read them one-at-a-time! Otherwise it's like spoiling Christmas!
Well, I'd try Orthodoxy by GK Chesterton, if I were me. :)
John
I am making my presence known on your blog as I speak...Let's go Broncos!! Go for that 3 pointer! ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home