Saga of a Nomad

I am a recent graduate of landscape studies having explored the folklore of the Northwoods (Paul and Babe). I have been blessed with adventures that have taken me to the far corners of the world and look forward to continuing this journey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: On the road, Canada

I have made it a point in my life to continually venture into the great unknown.

Sunday, November 06, 2005

Call me Ishmael.

Finis.

Earlier today I finished Moby Dick. It took a while. I began reading it spring before last, shortly before I left for Kenya, but have hardly cracked the cover since.

Of recent it has been a goal of mine to complete. Much like Ahab’s obsession with the White Whale, I have foregone other activities (such as posting about my return trip to the Gulf) to finish this epic story of a man consumed in thought and life with his mortal enemy.

Favorite quote?
“Real strength never impairs beauty or harmony, but it often bestow it; and in everything imposingly beautiful, strength has much to do with the magic.”

And so it is with Melville’s classic.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I was a junior in high school, Moby Dick was required reading for our American literature class. We groaned when we were given the books (abridged, with a lot of the whaling info left out) but quickly were caught up in the classic tale. We ended up loving it. I should reread it. Mother

8:29 AM  
Blogger CCR said...

Isn't that also the novel from which comes the great quote,

"All the world's a ship, her voyage incomplete; and the pulpit is her prow."

Also what about the lyric: "Gotsta pimp-slap my biaaach." Oh I'm sorry that's just plain Moby.

3:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home