Saga of a Nomad

I am a recent graduate of landscape studies having explored the folklore of the Northwoods (Paul and Babe). I have been blessed with adventures that have taken me to the far corners of the world and look forward to continuing this journey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: On the road, Canada

I have made it a point in my life to continually venture into the great unknown.

Sunday, October 23, 2005

And I thought last week was tough...

There are a number of victories scattered throughout my life that I will always cherish. Moments where "my team", whatever form that may take, storms back to conquer the evil powers (think Mike Martz or Dallas mid-90s) that seek to destroy all that is good. The Avs game 7 in 2001, the Red Sox remarkable comeback vs the Yankees last year, or even the 1980 USA Olympic Hockey Team are all haled as highlights in the history of sports.

Even so, there are times where the Dark Side seems to eclipse any glimmer of light that would be ours to celebrate. Case in point: sports over the past 48 hours.

As bad as it has been, there have been glimpses of an all-powerful, loving God over the past week: Hejduk's 2-goal return Friday night, K-State's win over rival KU last week, and the Broncos impressive 5-1 start. But over the weekend this has seemingly come to an abrupt end (Pittsburgh being a notable exception):

1) K-State loses to TX A&M.

2) The Avs lose to Bertuzzi and the Canucks. Anyone who follows hockey and possesses anything resembling a soul knows this is wrong.

3) Favre and the Pack losing in the last 20 some odd seconds to the loveboat monsters.

And the true dagger for me...the Broncos losing in the last 5 seconds.

My roommate Mike understands my pain. A couple of years ago the Avs lost an overtime game 7 in the playoffs. I remember saying, "Mike, don't take it personally if I don't speak to you the rest of the night." I got up, went to bed, and did not speak to him again the rest of the evening.

This time let's just say that my students should thank the Good Lord that I will not be able to grade their exams until Wednesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home