Saga of a Nomad

I am a recent graduate of landscape studies having explored the folklore of the Northwoods (Paul and Babe). I have been blessed with adventures that have taken me to the far corners of the world and look forward to continuing this journey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: On the road, Canada

I have made it a point in my life to continually venture into the great unknown.

Saturday, November 12, 2005

Ode to a 39er...

This one’s for Mom…

Many of you know my mom; some even know her cooking (to “know” is to “love”). I have years and years of great memories and have decided to create a top ten “best” moments of the past 5 years.

On second thought, in the spirit of the McKenzie Brothers, a top ten list is just too hard. Therefore, I will make it a top 3 list:

3) MACARONI AND CHEESE: For those of you who don’t know my mom’s cooking, there are two things my mom is known for making: pumpkin pie & macaroni and cheese. Many of you may be thinking, “What’s so special about that? My mom can make pumpkin pie & mac and cheese!” But how many of you have friends who ask if you can talk your mom into making those items?

For most occasions my mom makes two pies: one for the family and one for me. With mac and cheese, she has learned that I will claim it all as mine.

A couple of years ago I wanted to make sure that no one would eat any more of the mac and cheese. To claim it, I took it upon myself to “raspberry” the entire dish. My mom (after rolling her eyes) decided it best to leave a note: “This is John’s. He spit on it—do not eat.”

2) PUMPKIN PIE: I remember my mom attempting to bribe me to come home post-9/11 with a pumpkin pie. I was in Peace Corps at the time—Uzbekistan to be exact. She wrote to let me know that if I was to come home she would be sure to make a pumpkin pie JUST FOR ME!

It almost worked.

And the number one memory of the past 5 years…
1) THE BAG LADY: Somewhere along the way, my mom developed a love for garage sales. This newfound hobby has carried over to birthday and Christmas celebrations. On such occasions my mother does her best “Minnie Pearl” impression dressed in her prized second-hand clothes complete with a hat and hanging price tag. She is all smiles as she digs through the “Bag Lady’s Bag of Goodies” to deliver her treasurers to all.

Her smile and laugh lights up the room.

Thanks for the memories Mom. Happy Birthday!

Love,

Your Son <><

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know that I can legitimately call myself a 39-er, don't you? (For those of you who don't know, I was born then.) Thanks for the early morning birthday greetings and the memories that made me smile.
I still have one more gift to shop for before Christmas when "Bag Lady Enterprises" which "specializes in recycling" hands out the treasures, which are some people's junk. (I can't wait to reveal what I have for you. It's a shirt, a shade of orange, that you just might like, even if someone else didn't.) Love, Mother

7:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

what a lucky mother to have such an affectionate son :) and mature...remind me never to have you over for dinner. haha!

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lest anyone think I'm really a great cook.... For a good pumpkin pie, follow the recipe on Libby's canned pumpkin for the "famous pumpkin pie." I used to make my own piecrust, but I have used a Pillsbury one for so many years that I don't think John could tell the difference anymore. For mac and cheese, use Kraft's Deluxe American Cheese instead of Velveeta, which comes in a blue box and isn't always easy to find. (My mother always used it too.) Just boil the macaroni, add the cheese to taste (chunks or grated) with a little milk and salt. Voila! Mother

8:40 AM  
Blogger The Bearded said...

Note to Mom:

I can tell the difference. (still really good)

12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few weeks ago at lunchtime my boss threw a chicken pot pie in the microwave. The smell permeated my memories of cold weather winters. I have probably eaten more chicken pot pies since that afternoon than I have in my lifetime and have since burned out on them.

Ahhh, but now, there's mac and cheese. I will be on a quest to make the mac and cheese as good as you remember.

Oh, and John, you would've had to do a lot more than spit in the mac and cheese to keep me out of it! Julie

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home