Saga of a Nomad

I am a recent graduate of landscape studies having explored the folklore of the Northwoods (Paul and Babe). I have been blessed with adventures that have taken me to the far corners of the world and look forward to continuing this journey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: On the road, Canada

I have made it a point in my life to continually venture into the great unknown.

Monday, March 19, 2007

Breckenridge Avalanche...


I LOVE THE COLORADO AVALANCHE!


In case you, the reader, did not already know this, I want to make it abundantly clear...AVS RULE!!!

This week is Spring Break and I ventured out of the Sunflower State to see friends and my beloved team of the ice. I have been looking forward to this trip for weeks as a number of questions have been raised this calendar year and I thought a change in scenery may bring about answers (in addition to a hockey game!). I figured worse case scenerio, no answers surface but I still see my Avs in action.

Well, that didn't exactly happen.

My friend, Jenny, is an amazing individual. Please note, I do not use the term "amazing" lightly here. She is an architect and very well may be the most organized individual I have ever met. I often wonder how she does it. She's not your typical pocket-protector-organized-geek who alphabetizes her pantry and labels her socks "left" and "right". She's a bit of a social-butterfly (in a very positive light) and an artist at heart who decorates her living spaces with random works of beauty and post-it-notes. We originally met a couple of summers ago when I traveled to Tanzania. She's since graduated from K-State, landed a position in Denver, and recently accepted a proposal from her boyfriend of several years.

As noted, Jenny is very organized. When she heard about the Avs game, she jumped at the opportunity to plan an evening for everyone at the Pepsi Center. I figured, who better to do this than Jenny?!

Leading up to Spring Break, I let a number of my friends know I would be passing through the Mile High City. I had lived here (I'm now in coffeeshop somewhere downtown Denver) several years ago and still have a number of friends around the area. I sometimes wonder if I have more friends along the Front Range than I do anywhere else...but that's beside the point. I was searching for answers and looking forward to seeing the Avs once again.

Friday morning, Jenny called me. She was in tears (or very nearly so). She had purchased the tickets as expected...but for next week's game. As much as I was looking forward to the game, I wasn't disappointed or upset with the situation. I took the opportunity to make "lemonade" suggesting the group meet downtown and watch the game on tv.

Sometimes life doesn't unfold the way we expect it to. Wrong turns, missed opportunities, change of plans...they all lead down an unknown path towards the future.

There has been much on my mind the past several weeks. At times, life's trail seems a grueling never-ending uphill climb. Although I may not be any closer to uncovering the answers I was originally searching for, a change in scenery has meant a change in plans and visa versa. Sometimes, we need that more than anything.

ps--The Avs won in OT!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad we missed the chance to see them win in over-time. :( But, hey I might have fallen asleep by then anyways. :) hee hee not because of the game or your company, just because I was out of it! Thanks for a fun day!

10:23 PM  
Blogger The Strawberry Blonde said...

I love the last 2 paragraphs of this post. Beautifully stated. It reminded me a bit of the quote I recently posted from "Grey's Anatomy."

"Sometimes the expected simply pales in comparison to the unexpected."

All of these words seem to be speaking to me a lot lately. I don't know what that means, but I'm going to try and enjoy the ride, however quick it may turn.

Hope you can do the same...

6:18 AM  
Blogger The Bearded said...

Noel...Although I am confindent in stating there is NO way I would have fallen asleep during the game, I am not so sure about the drive home. I crashed shortly after I got back. It was a fun day.

Strawberry Blonde...Much like you, doing my best to enjoy the rollercoaster of a ride we call life. Glad you liked my thoughts on the subject.

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home