Saga of a Nomad

I am a recent graduate of landscape studies having explored the folklore of the Northwoods (Paul and Babe). I have been blessed with adventures that have taken me to the far corners of the world and look forward to continuing this journey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: On the road, Canada

I have made it a point in my life to continually venture into the great unknown.

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Forbidden fruit?


WARNING!


This post deals with women and my impressions of many of those who I know locally. If you are of the female gender and I am friends with you, you may safely assume this post does not apply to you. Even so, if you are sensitive or easily offended, skip this post.


This is my blog and these are my thoughts. Deal with it.

Last night when I got home I sat in my car. I had a number of questions swirling around in my head and not only could I not answer any of them, I'm not sure I could make sense of any of them either.

I have a friend, Darren, who I enjoy spending time with. Darren's the rock-n-roll type with long hair and a voice that smokers often carry later in life. I don't think Darren smokes, at least not that much, but he did sing lead for a local band that often played the bar scene and I've always attributed his rusty voice to inhaling the second-hand smoke filled air in the rooms they would play. In any case, I enjoy hanging out with him. He thinks differently and makes me think differently because of that. I enjoy his friendship.

I love heavy rains. The bigger, the badder, the better! Last night, we had one of those rains where the street gutters couldn't handle the amount of rain that was dumped from the sky into the deserted streets. The rain would not let up. The water began to rise above the curbs and creep up the sidewalks. I had gone down to Aggieville to spend some time with Darren and watch a couple of local bands play. The two of us watched as three guys ran around in swim trunks and began doing "snow angels" in the streets. I think we both wanted to join them, but we just cheered them on instead.

I have been struggling with my view of women. Christian women to be more exact. When I attend church (to be fair, one church in particular), it is not uncommon to make eye-contact with someone I know and for them to turn theirs backs on me or to simply walk away. These are not women that I have been interested in, so it's more annoying than anything. But it does leave an impression. Am I that repulsive? Is this what Godly women think of me?--that they must turn their backs lest they be forced to say "hello"?

I enjoyed going out on the town when I was a firefighter. To be honest, I probably enjoyed going out a little too much. I still have a good time when I do, but look to other activities to fill the weekend. I guess I found such activities as being rather empty. But every once in a while I find myself going out with Darren. As I said earlier, I like the fact that he makes me think differently.

Last night, after an hour or so, the rain finally began to let up. Darren and I grabbed a table as we watched the opening band set the stage to their liking. Students, who had been waiting for the weather to present an oppotunity to step out, began to file in. Some of the students I knew, others I didn't.

One of those I didn't know was a girl that sat down with us. We recognized each other from one of the coffeehouses which made striking up a conversation rather easy. She grew up in another country and hoped to travel some day teaching English overseas. Did I mention she was cute? I would say she was interested as well and that stuck with me. Here I was, in a smoke-filled room listening to a bar band and finding myself interested in a girl I had more-or-less just met. The international perspective was something we shared, but that may have been it. She's in her early 20s, not a Believer, smokes, and has an 8 year old daughter and lives with a "partner". The last tid-bit should have ended it...but I was intrigued. She seemed real, authentic.

As I drove home, I realized I would not be seeing her again and I began to ask a number of questions. Am I interested in such women because I find Christian women to be a bore? I had seen someone else I had known who is dating one of the band members. Is she dating someone who's not a Christian because she finds Christian men to be a bore? Am I a bore? What is it that Christian women want?

And the larger, lingering question...what exactly is it that I want?

6 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Wow. I'm sorry this is such a painful experience, brother. I don't know what to say, except, I love you. You're awesome.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Jill Pole said...

I'm not offended, but I did put up a few thoughts on the girl's perspective over in my corner. Please feel welcome to come comment. Yours is not the only voice that has said this kind of thing, it's just the latest and I think tipped the scales a little for me. I tried to be kind, but I'm always afraid that my words don't communicate exactly what I want them to. I ask for grace in discussing a touchy subject.

11:01 PM  
Blogger bendeaver said...

Brother. Sounds like difficult stuff. The risk is scary but necessary. We should chat again sometime...

5:43 PM  
Blogger The Strawberry Blonde said...

This post reminded me of a similar post that I had written in February 2005. You should check it out in my archives. :-)

I'll write more later when I have more time.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Manda said...

Hey, friend. Thanks for your post. I've been thinking about this particular issue, only from the other side and it's comforting to know that a well traveled, well educated Christian man is pondering it too. The cute girl was real and authentic. Let me ask you this... do you think today's church (generally) encourages this kind of behavior? let me ask you something else. Do you think the church generally encouragees singles to talk to each other (saying nothing about being real, genuine or authentic)? I think not. Suddenly Old Lady McGrew is trying to fit her for a wedding gown and Elder Smith is elbowing him saying "how'd a guy like you get a looker like her?" and before anyone knows it they're marching off toward an arranged marriage. Personally, the pressure is more than a girl (or guy) can handle! So what do Christian women want? God only knows! But I hesitatingly venture to guess that what we want is what you want: Real, Authentic relationships that allow us to serve God together better than alone but without the pressure of a quick engagement. what do you think?

8:01 PM  
Blogger CCR said...

Hmmm. Have you tried any of those tricks that Christian guys used to commonly employ on church-going honeys, such as "I believe the Lord is telling me that you will marry me"? - you know, something spiritual, powerful, prophetic, something that makes it not so much a request for a date, but an appeal to her calling & divine destiny.

If the great American master of the trade - Joseph Smith - has taught us anything (and being a Utah man you of all people should know this), it's that a charismatic spiritual leader can get not just one chick to marry him, but lots of 'em.

3:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home