2015 NFL HOF Class...
Every year around this time the NFL announces candidates for the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton. No HOF is perfect, but some are better than others. Baseball and hockey do a pretty good job selecting only the cream of the crop, basketball will elect just about anyone, and football...well, football is a mix.
There are positions in Canton that are over represented, drawing comparisons to the Naismith HOF, and others that are more selective than any of the aforementioned HOFs: there is only one punter (selected by the Seniors Committee) and one true placekicker (a Montana State alum!). I personally place an emphasis on careers numbers and influence on shaping the game.
With this in mind, I closely follow the selection process every year as football is the sport I follow more so than any other.
Yesterday, the Pro Football Hall of Fame announced its 2015 Finalists. Here are my thoughts on the list of 15:
CANTON WORTHY (no debate)
JUNIOR SEAU...First year of eligibility should be a shoe-in. Pro Bowler 12 times, All-Pro 8 times, and was known as a force to be reckoned with throughout his career (save the final few in New England).
JOHN LYNCH...I shouldn't even be writing about Lynch as he should have been elected 2 years ago (this is his 3rd ballot). Other than Ronnie Lott, who may be the greatest safety of all time, I don't know if there's a safety who has played the position better than Lynch in the modern era.
WILL SHIELDS...As much as I believe Lynch should be in, I feel even more strongly for Shields (this is his 4th ballot). In 14 seasons with the (evil) Chiefs, he went to 12 Pro Bowls. I'm at a loss as to why he's waited as long as he has.
CANTON WORTHY (...or so The Bearded says)
COACH DUNGY...One has to understand the full futility of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers prior to 1996 to truly appreciate what Coach Dungy did there. Factor in his time in Indy and this man should be enshrined.
MARVIN HARRISON & TIM BROWN...Both of these wide receivers were on the short list for best in their era, and although both pale in comparison to Jerry Rice, both put up significant numbers and neither were major distractions to their teams (which would make me think long and hard about Randy Moss).
DON CORYELL...This pick may be a surprise to many, but hear me out. Few people have changed the modern game, both offensively and defensively, as much as he did with an offense that aptly became known as "Air Coryell". In addition, his coaching tree includes the likes of John Madden and Joe Gibbs. I fully recognize his head coaching credentials (i.e. W-L record) leave him on the outside looking in, but as an innovator, few people are more worthy.
AM OPEN TO DISCUSSION
JEROME BETTIS...It's not so much his rushing totals or style as it is his leadership. If we go strictly off the numbers, I might not vote for him (eventually, maybe). But much of the argument for Bettis is because of his leadership within the locker-room.
TERRELL DAVIS...I'm so biased on this I probably shouldn't even list him under "open to discussion". If he is ever elected, it's in the Gale Sayers category: a stellar 4-year career (NFL MVP, 3 time Pro Bowler, 3 time All-Pro, 2 time NFL Offensive Player of the Year, 2000+ yard season, Super Bowl MVP) cut short by injury.
MORTEN ANDERSEN...Stenerud introduced the soccer-style kick, Vinatieri epitomizes the big-game kicker (and I'll make an argument for him when he's eligible). Morten Anderson and Gary Anderson...maybe.
JIMMY JOHNSON...Oddly enough, not as a coach (his tenure was too short and he fizzled in Miami). I am instead open to the idea of his election as a football analyst. Heck, I'm open to electing the entire Fox NFL Team.
(Note: Terry Bradshaw is not a HOF NFL Quarterback. He may, however, be a HOF NFL Analyst.)
NOPE
KEVIN GREENE...He was good. Just not HOF worthy.
CHARLES HALEY...He was good. But a distraction and liability much like Moss.
ORLANDO PACE...Nope.
KURT WARNER...Overrated.
Thoughts?
There are positions in Canton that are over represented, drawing comparisons to the Naismith HOF, and others that are more selective than any of the aforementioned HOFs: there is only one punter (selected by the Seniors Committee) and one true placekicker (a Montana State alum!). I personally place an emphasis on careers numbers and influence on shaping the game.
With this in mind, I closely follow the selection process every year as football is the sport I follow more so than any other.
Yesterday, the Pro Football Hall of Fame announced its 2015 Finalists. Here are my thoughts on the list of 15:
CANTON WORTHY (no debate)
JUNIOR SEAU...First year of eligibility should be a shoe-in. Pro Bowler 12 times, All-Pro 8 times, and was known as a force to be reckoned with throughout his career (save the final few in New England).
JOHN LYNCH...I shouldn't even be writing about Lynch as he should have been elected 2 years ago (this is his 3rd ballot). Other than Ronnie Lott, who may be the greatest safety of all time, I don't know if there's a safety who has played the position better than Lynch in the modern era.
WILL SHIELDS...As much as I believe Lynch should be in, I feel even more strongly for Shields (this is his 4th ballot). In 14 seasons with the (evil) Chiefs, he went to 12 Pro Bowls. I'm at a loss as to why he's waited as long as he has.
CANTON WORTHY (...or so The Bearded says)
COACH DUNGY...One has to understand the full futility of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers prior to 1996 to truly appreciate what Coach Dungy did there. Factor in his time in Indy and this man should be enshrined.
MARVIN HARRISON & TIM BROWN...Both of these wide receivers were on the short list for best in their era, and although both pale in comparison to Jerry Rice, both put up significant numbers and neither were major distractions to their teams (which would make me think long and hard about Randy Moss).
DON CORYELL...This pick may be a surprise to many, but hear me out. Few people have changed the modern game, both offensively and defensively, as much as he did with an offense that aptly became known as "Air Coryell". In addition, his coaching tree includes the likes of John Madden and Joe Gibbs. I fully recognize his head coaching credentials (i.e. W-L record) leave him on the outside looking in, but as an innovator, few people are more worthy.
AM OPEN TO DISCUSSION
JEROME BETTIS...It's not so much his rushing totals or style as it is his leadership. If we go strictly off the numbers, I might not vote for him (eventually, maybe). But much of the argument for Bettis is because of his leadership within the locker-room.
TERRELL DAVIS...I'm so biased on this I probably shouldn't even list him under "open to discussion". If he is ever elected, it's in the Gale Sayers category: a stellar 4-year career (NFL MVP, 3 time Pro Bowler, 3 time All-Pro, 2 time NFL Offensive Player of the Year, 2000+ yard season, Super Bowl MVP) cut short by injury.
MORTEN ANDERSEN...Stenerud introduced the soccer-style kick, Vinatieri epitomizes the big-game kicker (and I'll make an argument for him when he's eligible). Morten Anderson and Gary Anderson...maybe.
JIMMY JOHNSON...Oddly enough, not as a coach (his tenure was too short and he fizzled in Miami). I am instead open to the idea of his election as a football analyst. Heck, I'm open to electing the entire Fox NFL Team.
(Note: Terry Bradshaw is not a HOF NFL Quarterback. He may, however, be a HOF NFL Analyst.)
NOPE
KEVIN GREENE...He was good. Just not HOF worthy.
CHARLES HALEY...He was good. But a distraction and liability much like Moss.
ORLANDO PACE...Nope.
KURT WARNER...Overrated.
Thoughts?


2 Comments:
I agree with you on virtually every guy. It kills me to this day that Davis' career was shortened due to injury. I think your boy Vinatieri probably becomes the second kicker in the Hall. I'm surprised you weren't higher on Bettis.
Also, I think Warner probably would make it had the Cardinals won that Super Bowl.
Post a Comment
<< Home