$30 Down the Drain?
New Year's Eve ended up being rather uneventful; it was spent in a car. Brad and Keira, a young married couple that I'm friends with here in town, and I traveled up to Winter Park to spend the day skiing and snowshoeing respectfully. We got a late start, and so as the clock struck midnight, we were still 20 minutes out.
As noted in my last post, I was eagerly anticipating the coming of the new year. A time to start anew if only symbolically. One of the items I've been debating for the past 6 months or so is whether or not to give online dating a second go, or rather, a "third try".
Several years ago I gave eHarmony a shot. This was when I was still at K-State and hadn't had a date for a couple of years. Although it was nice to know I wasn't the only one out there, nothing materialized. This was in large part, or at least "I believe" this was in large part, due to the fact that at the time eHarmony did not allow one to browse profiles freely and the settings were such that in order to include the KC metro area, I had to include the entire nation.
Two years ago I gave it a second go, this time on Christian Cafe. My experience this time around materialized with two dates that, unfortunately, were both complete disasters. The first was with a young lady in Denver who was less than honest on her profile. The second was a young lass (she is Irish) up in Bozeman that left me devastated. Although only a handful of you know the details, do know these two experiences not only all but destroyed a self-confidence in dealings with the opposite sex that was already on shaky grounds, it also left me leery of dating online ever again.
Enter 2014. They say that time heals all wounds and in many respects I believe this is true. So last weekend I contacted 3 of my closest friends asking their advice on whether or not I should give it a go. In no particular order, here are their responses:
FRIEND #1…"'My Wife' says to not date long distance if you can help it and to meet them in person ASAP so you know who they really are."
FRIEND #2…"I say go for it but I'd recommend being forthright with your faith in Christ (in your profile)."
FRIEND #3…"Go for it!"
On the advice of these 3 friends, and my own new found optimism, I decided to give it a go once again, this time on Christian Mingle.
Unfortunately, not only does time heal wounds, but over time we also have a tendency to forget the lessons that should have been learned long ago. After a week online and zero responses, I am asking myself which of these views will ultimately rule the third time around around. Here's hoping it's the former rather than the latter.
As noted in my last post, I was eagerly anticipating the coming of the new year. A time to start anew if only symbolically. One of the items I've been debating for the past 6 months or so is whether or not to give online dating a second go, or rather, a "third try".
Several years ago I gave eHarmony a shot. This was when I was still at K-State and hadn't had a date for a couple of years. Although it was nice to know I wasn't the only one out there, nothing materialized. This was in large part, or at least "I believe" this was in large part, due to the fact that at the time eHarmony did not allow one to browse profiles freely and the settings were such that in order to include the KC metro area, I had to include the entire nation.
Two years ago I gave it a second go, this time on Christian Cafe. My experience this time around materialized with two dates that, unfortunately, were both complete disasters. The first was with a young lady in Denver who was less than honest on her profile. The second was a young lass (she is Irish) up in Bozeman that left me devastated. Although only a handful of you know the details, do know these two experiences not only all but destroyed a self-confidence in dealings with the opposite sex that was already on shaky grounds, it also left me leery of dating online ever again.
Enter 2014. They say that time heals all wounds and in many respects I believe this is true. So last weekend I contacted 3 of my closest friends asking their advice on whether or not I should give it a go. In no particular order, here are their responses:
FRIEND #1…"'My Wife' says to not date long distance if you can help it and to meet them in person ASAP so you know who they really are."
FRIEND #2…"I say go for it but I'd recommend being forthright with your faith in Christ (in your profile)."
FRIEND #3…"Go for it!"
On the advice of these 3 friends, and my own new found optimism, I decided to give it a go once again, this time on Christian Mingle.
Unfortunately, not only does time heal wounds, but over time we also have a tendency to forget the lessons that should have been learned long ago. After a week online and zero responses, I am asking myself which of these views will ultimately rule the third time around around. Here's hoping it's the former rather than the latter.


2 Comments:
Ha ha, I like being one of your anonymous friends. I hope that the third time's the charm!
Deer Slayer, there will be more to tell of this story come Saturday
Post a Comment
<< Home