Saga of a Nomad

I am a recent graduate of landscape studies having explored the folklore of the Northwoods (Paul and Babe). I have been blessed with adventures that have taken me to the far corners of the world and look forward to continuing this journey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: On the road, Canada

I have made it a point in my life to continually venture into the great unknown.

Sunday, March 04, 2012

What I value in life...


"For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
Matthew 6:21 (NIV)

I'm not entirely sure what I value in life, but I'm pretty sure it's not my career.

My position at the University of Wyoming is the best job I'll ever have. Period. That's a rather bold statement, but I really can't imagine having it any better than I have it right now. My job description, pay scale, course load, and everything else that could go with such a position are at a level that I almost feel guilty discussing the subject with others in my discipline.

Four years ago I was teaching part-time at a small state school in Kansas. The department was pleased with my overall job performance and offered me a full-time position. I initially accepted, albeit somewhat reluctantly, but ultimately turned it down after my roommate at the time came to the same conclusion I had...God was calling me elsewhere.

It was a rather large step in faith for me at the time as it was the only offer I had received. However, shortly thereafter I reaped the benefits of that 'step in faith' at least from a materialistic vantage point. That summer I was offered a position in Laramie that included 25% less teaching for 25% more pay and was 30% closer to 'home' than the one I had turned down.

Since then my position has only gotten sweeter. In fact, just within the past six months I have been asked to serve as President of the Great Plains/Rocky Mountain Division of the AAG in 2014 (sounds more important than it is, trust me) and host the regional meeting that same year, awarded a book contract on Paul Bunyan (assuming I actually write it), given an iPad by my department (for reasons I consider trivial), and, last but not least, granted a reduction in my course load this coming year.

Yes, believe it or not, this past Thursday I was informed I will go from a 3-3 teaching load (3 courses per semester) to a 3-2 for the exact same pay starting next year. Over the past four years I have only met a handful of individuals who are on a teaching-track with the same load I carry now and know of no one who has a 3-2. This is crazy!

And yet...I could easily walk away from this position. The benefits do not entice me that much. Don't get me wrong, I like all of these things I've been given, really, I do!...but they are not a driving factor for what I do with my life.

So the question I am left with is this:

Am I unappreciative of the gifts God has bestowed on me? or is my heart simply elsewhere?

2 Comments:

Anonymous ryan said...

I think that you can be longing for something else and still be appreciative of where God currently has you. It sounds like that's where you're at. Knowing you, your overseas itch is probably not being scratched. Maybe you can find some more ways to get overseas for short stints.

11:34 AM  
Blogger Manda said...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2711300960523&set=a.1236817899368.27599.1796862209&type=1&ref=nf

this made me think of you...

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home