Saga of a Nomad

I am a recent graduate of landscape studies having explored the folklore of the Northwoods (Paul and Babe). I have been blessed with adventures that have taken me to the far corners of the world and look forward to continuing this journey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: On the road, Canada

I have made it a point in my life to continually venture into the great unknown.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

What is it with young guys?

I'm a liberal. I'm a hockey-loving-tree-hugging-universal-health-care-supporting liberal...and I like coffee houses. In fact, my favorite local shop proudly proclaims itself as a "Home to Malcontents, Revolutionaries and Do-Gooders of all types". I more or less fit the billing, but I'm not sure the people sitting across from me do.

...or do they?

As I've noted in the past, I've never understood 'Angryoldwhiteman' syndrome. Are things really that bad in this country? To what standard are we we comparing ourselves? Is there a country we should try harder to emulate? Maybe Canada? (I know some of us believe so)

Yesterday I was chatting with a friend and laughing at how ironic it is given my political beliefs that I seem to move from one conservative hot bed to another time and time again. West River South Dakota, Utah, Kansas, and now Wyoming. These areas differ in how the prevailing ideology surfaces: Utah is church based, Kansas is community based, and Wyoming is individualistic-in-your-face-with-a-shotgun-conservative-libertarian, but needless to say, they are all conservative.

The couple sitting across from me are outraged at the new health care and the expansion of government under the current administration. Granted, there is room for improvement and I think some of the legislation passed in the past year-and-a-half leaves much to be desired, but I am not terrified of our government. I do not fear the recent health care bill will lead to the government allowing only blue-eyed and blonde-haired babies to be born nor do I fear this expansion will lead to satellite eavesdropping in people's backyards (both of which were discussed in all seriousness). This couple--who are in their late-20s/early 30s--have guns and this concerns me.

What breeds such distrust in government? and anger? Am I so liberal that I am unable to see (or imagine) a not-so-distant world controlled by Big Brother because our government passed a health care reform bill?

What is it with these young guys?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home