Saga of a Nomad

I am a recent graduate of landscape studies having explored the folklore of the Northwoods (Paul and Babe). I have been blessed with adventures that have taken me to the far corners of the world and look forward to continuing this journey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: On the road, Canada

I have made it a point in my life to continually venture into the great unknown.

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

On waiting...

Waiting is not fun. Supposedly it builds character. I have my doubts. Think about it...did Joe Montana wait for the Cincinnati's secondary in Super Bowl XXIII? Or how about John Elway with the Cleveland Browns? Or more recently, in 2006, did Montana State wait for CU to show up? I think not. In all of these cases, and many more like them, we celebrate the victor (or victors, as the case may be) because they acted in the present. They seized the day! Had they waited, would we hold these events up as examples of when men built character? Probably not.

Last week I went to see Donald Miller speak in Denver. Don's one of my favorite authors and he's touring the country promoting his new book: A Million Miles in a Thousand Years. The book is about living a great life or, to put it another way, writing a great story for your life. Matt Duschene is doing it currently with the Avs (as is Craig Anderson for that matter!). This inspires me. Don himself is currently doing this with The Mentoring Project. This has me...dreaming.

The Mentoring Project is an organization that targets boys who grow up in homes without fathers. Thus far, the project has spread from its origins in Portland, Oregon to become a nationwide initiative. My thoughts? Why keep it to ourselves? Why not take it international?

I'll keep you posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home