On Weekend Commutes...
This past weekend I visited a new coffee house in Denver. I've been making the 2 hour trip on weekends to take in a couple of church services (Saturday night and Sunday morning) as well as to enjoy some fellowship. It's become a routine of sorts, one that I will likely continue through the remainder of the academic year. The reason for the commute is quite simple: my life in Laramie has become something to escape when I can.
We tend to idealize the individual in solitude in this country. The image of a lone, rugged cowboy riding his horse is romanticized as being the all-American male role model. Someone who can get by on his own and doesn't allow the worries of life to weigh him down is something we're taught to strive to become.
Don't get me wrong, I do believe there is a place for silence and solitude. But what we tend to forget is that too much of this, too much time away from family and friends, leaves a person feeling empty and deprived. It concerns me that my life is beginning to resemble that of someone left alone for too long.
This past Sunday, I didn't want to leave the comfort of the coffee house. It should be noted that I was there with a friend and it makes a big difference when you can turn around and ask a question or comment on a football score. I don't have this in Laramie. I often go days without a 5 minute face-to-face conversation and it has begun to wear on me.
I believe in being proactive, but I also believe in building local community. The Sunday school class I was a part of last year was a very good one; I was incredibly grateful for the group. But most in the group were 20 to 30 years older than me (if not more). Building relationships outside of the Sunday school hour really wasn't practical. There are singles in Laramie, but not many who are my age. I know of only one other single male in his 30s here in Laramie. He's not a Believer, which is fine, but his lifestyle is one to avoid (allow your mind to wonder). My other friends are married couples most of whom have children. Finding time to spend together does not come easily.
I'm struggling with this--the decision of whether to build and partake in community two hours away from home or to stick it out in Laramie. And I'm open to suggestions.


4 Comments:
GEEK!! I can see you having more opportunities in Denver...friends, activities, dating! I think of Laramie as a "college town" and not really a "happening" place for someone your age...no offense! It would save you alot of miles and money to move closer to Denver. What about Fort Colllins? Didn't you mention moving there also? You will never know unless you try it...and you can always move back if it isn't the right decision for you!
I say wherever you can find community, that IS your community.
Let's hang out sometime. I'll totally come up to Denver for a Saturday. Just let me know.
First, to respond to your comment: both. Indiana is definitely lacking, but especially in comparison to DC, which is full of life.
Second, I think it depends on whether you see Laramie as a long-term home or not. If not, there's less incentive to invest in finding a community, and I agree with Ryan (and suggest video chatting those days when you have no face-to-face interaction).
If so, however, it seems inefficient and more draining in the long run to have your only sense of community two hours away.
No one says you can't have both, either.
Post a Comment
<< Home