Saga of a Nomad

I am a recent graduate of landscape studies having explored the folklore of the Northwoods (Paul and Babe). I have been blessed with adventures that have taken me to the far corners of the world and look forward to continuing this journey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: On the road, Canada

I have made it a point in my life to continually venture into the great unknown.

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Second guessing...

A married couple I am friends with moved to Denver a few years ago. The husband is a good friend who I got to know when we were living in Salt Lake City. He was a part of a men's group I lead and I always appreciated his insights as he is a very intelligent individual. His wife, who is a native South African and also very smart, finished her PhD in Utah and the two of them moved to Colorado thereafter.

My friend started a PhD program shortly after the move and I remember a conversation I had with them regarding their housing choice. With Branden going to school in Golden and Ronel, his wife, working on the south side of the metro area, I thought the logical choice would have been somewhere in-between. But they instead chose Castle Rock, a small town half-way between Denver and the Springs. When asked why, Branden explained that they had chosen the location based on the location of a church. They simply wanted to be closer to a church they felt would be 'home'.

This past spring I jumped at the opportunity to teach a second year here in Laramie. I am now questioning whether or not I acted to quickly. There were a handful of things of concern that I was praying about this past spring that I am still lifting up on a regular basis. I don't know that any of my prayers have received a response, or maybe I should say that I haven't recognized a response to any of them, and I've begun to wonder if I acted so rashly this past spring that I missed the opportunity to have my prayers answered.

I realize I'm over analyzing this. Silence and solitude will do this to a person. This past week I traveled to the Little Apple and back to see friends and (hopefully) finish up some fieldwork. As much as I dislike the suffocating heat and muggy, I miss having people to speak to.

Laramie is great, but my life here is often empty and I am left alone with my thoughts. Maybe it's just that the grass is always greener.

3 Comments:

Anonymous ryan said...

That's definitely a tough one. I hope that a more desirable option comes along soon. I need to come up to see your new place soon. Maybe a weekend in August.

4:27 PM  
Blogger The Bearded said...

You should swing by sometime. I'll be headed down to Flatirons this coming Saturday. Are you planning on going?

10:27 AM  
Anonymous ryan said...

I am at our staff conference in Fort Collins, so I won't be there.

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home