Saga of a Nomad

I am a recent graduate of landscape studies having explored the folklore of the Northwoods (Paul and Babe). I have been blessed with adventures that have taken me to the far corners of the world and look forward to continuing this journey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: On the road, Canada

I have made it a point in my life to continually venture into the great unknown.

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

ugh.

One of these days I'm going to learn. There are a number of mistakes I seem destined to repeat, and I suppose this is true with most people, but I really am wishing I could learn something to avoid repeating them time-and-time again. The area I'm referring to here is first dates.

The new millennium has not been kind to me in this area. Since 2000, I haven't had a second date with anyone I've been interested in. Zero. Zilch. Now I realize that statement needs some clarification as there have been a handful of second dates with some lovely women. When I say no dates with 'anyone I've been interested in,' I mean to say that I haven't had a second date with anyone who I've been interested in who is a Believer. This blanket statement also excludes one individual who I have no idea how to categorize in terms of interested in or not interested in (she's getting married later this month and I'm happy for her. Really. She's great). But regardless, there's a lot of truth to that statement of no second dates.

Last week I had a first date with someone in Denver. It was a blind date set up by a mutual friend. I had driven in from Nebraska earlier and was a bit jet-lagged, so-to-speak, as I had been in the car for nearly 24 hours over the past three days, but thought the date went alright. I guess not. I found out earlier today that she is not interested in meeting a second time.

I'm not sure what my problem is. There are times I realize the chemistry is not there, and that's just life, but beyond that there seems to be a trend here and I just don't get it. My confidence in the dating arena, which has been damaged for some time, has been crushed. Most of these first dates are the result of being set up by a mutual friend who has my (and I assume "our") best interests in mind. Since these mutual friends know me quite well, I've come to the conclusion that I must do a horrible job in presenting myself. It's quite frustrating when you realize there is a problem, but you have no idea where to begin to solve it.

Long story short: I'm done with dating until I figure this out.

5 Comments:

Anonymous ryan said...

Sorry man. I wouldn't beat yourself up though. It could be her issue, not yours.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i don't want to endorse giving up, but i'm with you. ¡no mas! dating is evil.

that said, you are a wonderful man with infinite qualities for the right woman to be drawn to, and when she sees them, the defeating trend will be discontinued. and you won't necessarily find her if you throw in the towel.

8:23 PM  
Blogger Clay said...

Now are you sure that you are introducing yourself as "Hi my name is Dr. John" instead of "Hi my name is John".

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude...soooo sorry! I have no answers for you! This dating thing in this day 'n age at our age is HARD!!!!! ARRRGGGHHH!

5:52 PM  
Blogger The Bearded said...

Not sure who left the last comment, but thanks to all.

9:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home