Last Days on the Ranch?
Laramie is a good fit. I have noted this before, but I feel the need to reiterate it from time to time.
I received a call from Longmont earlier today. Several months ago, when I was unsure of what my future would be here--or if I would even have one--I found myself applying for positions around the country. I hate the process. Really. The last couple of years I have applied for more positions than I care to remember. This year, I didn't send out nearly as many applications. The reason is simple: not as many openings.
Since sending out a number of applications, I have learned that I will have a position here in the fall. The department was hoping to retain me, but were waiting to give official word until a fellow faculty member made a commitment as to whether or not she would be returning. If she retired, I had a position.
The economy tanked. Stocks crashed. She's coming back.
Thankfully, I'm in very good standing with the school. My department was able to offer me something, but at a great reduction in salary. Initially, I was incredibly frustrated with the situation. I've since gotten over it and am now just thankful I have something for the coming year.
BTW: there is still a possibility I may have a full-time position here next year. I should know later this week.
I was, and am, very thankful for the position. For weeks I had heard nothing, so having something was much better than nothing. But as noted, that changed earlier today. Front Range CC is one of the positions I applied for and I have an interview this coming Friday.
The dilemma is not quite as cut and dry as it might seem. If I am offered a second year here at Wyoming, a second year at full-time, there's no guarantee I'll be offered a third. Front Range would be full-time and tenured, but would pigeon-hole me professionally and would have me teaching courses I am not nearly as enthusiastic about.
I also need to make a housing decision by Thursday at the latest.
I've been praying a lot of recent. Praying about direction, guidance, and insight. I'm not sure this is all related, it could be, but not necessarily. But at the very least, I will definitely be praying more specifically over the next couple of days.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home