Saga of a Nomad

I am a recent graduate of landscape studies having explored the folklore of the Northwoods (Paul and Babe). I have been blessed with adventures that have taken me to the far corners of the world and look forward to continuing this journey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: On the road, Canada

I have made it a point in my life to continually venture into the great unknown.

Thursday, February 12, 2009

On the Eve of Friday the 13th...

It's always interesting to see who your friends think you'd be interested in.  Yes, once again, I am being set up on a blind date.

I'm friends with a married couple locally, AJ and Jane, who have been talking up a girl for some time (I think since September).  This young lady is single and lives in Columbia, SC.  Until earlier tonight, that's about all I knew about her.  Tonight I also learned she graduated from Wake Forest at some point, so I guess I can add that as well.

Being single in your 30s is something that if you haven't experienced it first hand, you'll never fully understand it.  Well-intentioned friends will often set you up with someone because they believe you have a lot in common. Comments such as: "You just have to meet this friend of mine!  The two of you would make such a cute couple!" are all too common.

What is it exactly that we have in common?

"She's a Christian, you're a Christian!  She's single, you're single!
You'd make the perfect couple!"

Now in all fairness, this most recent match does not fall into this category. But at the same time, it does follow a trend of recent.  Upon learning that it is a desire of mine to eventually marry (although this is something I no longer believe is likely to happen--but that's another story for another time), friends tend to immediately jump to the conclusion that any single woman would be a good match.

I'm not sure I'm accurately conveying my thoughts here...it's just frustrating at times.  There have been those who have known me well enough to make good suggestions, but then there are those who know me equally as well and make really strange ones.  For a guy, a blind date can be a great compliment or a tremendous insult to one's character.  I imagine it's a similar situation for many women.

Again, I'm not referring to this weekend's date.  I'm just rambling.  I'm tired.  And frustrated.  And ready for this whole dating thing to come to an end.

4 Comments:

Blogger Brent said...

JPH, as someone who can speak from experience, I know it can be frustrating. But it sounds like you've written this gal off before you've even met her. And who knows, maybe Friday the 13th has the opposite effect for you, maybe it will be your luckiest day ever. :) Hang in there, friend, it will be worth all of the first dates and waiting when you finally find someone. There is no hurry. :)

8:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

At the very least, it's nice to know that your friends want what you want for you. (That was not terribly well-articulated, but you know what I mean.)

Hope it goes well. Or I hope you learn something about yourself, women, God...something :)

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

John, it seems that a certain weight-lifting friend of mine was constantly trying to set other single men up.

Hang in there.

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, how did it go?

4:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home