Zanzibar!
Last night (Wednesday) we returned from Zanzibar. We had gone there for a three-day holiday to study the historic Stone Town. While there we went on a spice tour and spent some time on the beach.
First Night
Zanzibar is amazing to say the least. The town is nearly dead during the day but comes to life as soon as the sun goes down. Everyone gathers at a park along the ocean to trade, shop, and eat! Absolutely amazing! Factor in a film and music festival that happened to be taking place, and you have one incredible experience.
Working the bazaar!
I have developed a bit of a reputation for working the shopkeepers. The team gets a kick out of it as I get rather fired up! For those of you who know me think football or Avalanche hockey.
I’ve learned how to insult (mildly) the shopkeeper when they won’t give me the local price much to the amusement of those who shop with me! Yesterday (Wednesday) one of the shopkeepers who I had been frustrated with on Monday for not coming down to my price finally gave in. As I was leaving he made the remark “Asante Mjanjan.” “Asante” means “thanks” but I had to ask him what “mjanjan” meant. He simply replied, “Ask your friend.” When we turned the corner I asked the Tanzanian I was with what it meant. Turns out it means “brave” or “brave one”. The shopkeeper had been impressed with my bargaining.
The Tanzanian students now refer to me as “Mjanjan” which cracks me up.
We have a couple of weeks here in Dar before going on safari. We will have more access to computers than we have had and I will do my best to keep this site updated as events unfold.
Many blessings.
First Night
Zanzibar is amazing to say the least. The town is nearly dead during the day but comes to life as soon as the sun goes down. Everyone gathers at a park along the ocean to trade, shop, and eat! Absolutely amazing! Factor in a film and music festival that happened to be taking place, and you have one incredible experience.
Working the bazaar!
I have developed a bit of a reputation for working the shopkeepers. The team gets a kick out of it as I get rather fired up! For those of you who know me think football or Avalanche hockey.
I’ve learned how to insult (mildly) the shopkeeper when they won’t give me the local price much to the amusement of those who shop with me! Yesterday (Wednesday) one of the shopkeepers who I had been frustrated with on Monday for not coming down to my price finally gave in. As I was leaving he made the remark “Asante Mjanjan.” “Asante” means “thanks” but I had to ask him what “mjanjan” meant. He simply replied, “Ask your friend.” When we turned the corner I asked the Tanzanian I was with what it meant. Turns out it means “brave” or “brave one”. The shopkeeper had been impressed with my bargaining.
The Tanzanian students now refer to me as “Mjanjan” which cracks me up.
We have a couple of weeks here in Dar before going on safari. We will have more access to computers than we have had and I will do my best to keep this site updated as events unfold.
Many blessings.


1 Comments:
As I was reading, I was expecting mjanjan to end up meaning "the bearded". Now THAT would've been hilarious, no?
-daniela byers
Post a Comment
<< Home