Saga of a Nomad

I am a recent graduate of landscape studies having explored the folklore of the Northwoods (Paul and Babe). I have been blessed with adventures that have taken me to the far corners of the world and look forward to continuing this journey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: On the road, Canada

I have made it a point in my life to continually venture into the great unknown.

Tuesday, January 02, 2018

A year living on New York...

It's been nearly a year since I moved into my humble abode located on New York St. in Lawrence.  To celebrate this milestone, I decided it was about time to share some photos.


Home...

Three major outdoor projects were undertaken in 2017: trees, rain garden, and carport.

TREES...this past spring, I had two large trees removed form my property.  One had a very large branch that loomed precariously over my home--not sure how I missed this in buying the house, but I did.  The second was removed in order to make room for a large carport.


Tree removed because I didn't want it in my living room


Tree removed to make room for a carport

RAIN GARDEN...the property has proved to be prone to flooding.  Being proactive, I installed a new sump pump (the old one was DOA) and had a French drain and rain garden installed.  For those of you unfamiliar with these items, a French drain is an underground perforated pipe that redirects water to another area while a rain garden is a space where water intensive plants are planted to alleviate excess water.

The rain garden is not quite complete as I will be planting a birch tree in the middle and ringing the garden with flagstone this coming spring.


Side yard before rain...



Side yard after rain...



French drain (scaring) and rain garden installed with firepit in the foreground

CARPORT...this one proved to be rather expensive as the initial estimate ended up being $10-15K short of the final cost.  However, it also ended up being one of the most rewarding since the contractor I ultimately ended up using is a childhood friend.  Normally, I am hesitant to use a close friend in a major business transaction, but this one was a treat as we went out nearly every night for BBQ.

Referring to this structure as a carport really doesn't do it justice.  It's more of an open garage.  By "open garage" I mean that there is a covered parking area ("carport") as well as a large enclosed workspace ("garage").  The enclosed area will be used for storing items such as the lawn mower, tools, bike, etc. as well as a future print shop that I hope to have up and running later this year.

A few minor additions to the open garage will be added this spring, but for all practical purposes this is it!


Before...



And after: carport area...


enclosed workspace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home