Placing the Missing Link...
Much of my spare time this spring has been dedicated in making my house a home. This past week I found myself wishing I had started with a series of "before" photos so I could document how much progress has been made. It really has been a lot of work.
Dishes and large furniture were first and I completed this within a few days. Blinds and drapes were next, although this was completed in 3 separate waves*. A couple of months later I finally had a bed to call my own. That last one likely sounds worse than it really was: "my bed" became the "guest bed". In other words, it took two months before I had a new mattress and bed frame and another couple of weeks before I had something other than a sleeping bad to use as a blanket (no excuses on that one).
But all of these projects pale in comparison to one in particular: the master bathroom mirror.
Upon moving, I discovered the sellers had taken the master bedroom mirror with them. This was an instant sore point, one I was reminded of every time I used the bathroom. My realtor was unwilling to press the issue with the sellers which meant I was left the option of litigation and that was more time and effort than I was willing to exert. I searched in vain for several months to find one that would fit the dimensions of my bathroom and had finally accepted that I would need to have one custom made.
However, one last look at the mirrors in IKEA proved me wrong.
On a trip that was meant to buy a towel rack and nothing more, I found a mirror that had only recently been added to the department--one than happened to fit the dimensions of my bathroom perfectly.
It may seem trivial, or a luxury, or maybe even nothing more than an object of vanity, but to have a mirror mounted on that wall meant the hard feelings I had harbored could finally be buried. I smile every time I look into it.
Now, onto the yard.
*The lack of blinds was confined to common areas as there were minimal window coverings in the bedrooms when I moved in.
Dishes and large furniture were first and I completed this within a few days. Blinds and drapes were next, although this was completed in 3 separate waves*. A couple of months later I finally had a bed to call my own. That last one likely sounds worse than it really was: "my bed" became the "guest bed". In other words, it took two months before I had a new mattress and bed frame and another couple of weeks before I had something other than a sleeping bad to use as a blanket (no excuses on that one).
But all of these projects pale in comparison to one in particular: the master bathroom mirror.
Upon moving, I discovered the sellers had taken the master bedroom mirror with them. This was an instant sore point, one I was reminded of every time I used the bathroom. My realtor was unwilling to press the issue with the sellers which meant I was left the option of litigation and that was more time and effort than I was willing to exert. I searched in vain for several months to find one that would fit the dimensions of my bathroom and had finally accepted that I would need to have one custom made.
However, one last look at the mirrors in IKEA proved me wrong.
On a trip that was meant to buy a towel rack and nothing more, I found a mirror that had only recently been added to the department--one than happened to fit the dimensions of my bathroom perfectly.
It may seem trivial, or a luxury, or maybe even nothing more than an object of vanity, but to have a mirror mounted on that wall meant the hard feelings I had harbored could finally be buried. I smile every time I look into it.
Now, onto the yard.
*The lack of blinds was confined to common areas as there were minimal window coverings in the bedrooms when I moved in.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home