Saga of a Nomad

I am a recent graduate of landscape studies having explored the folklore of the Northwoods (Paul and Babe). I have been blessed with adventures that have taken me to the far corners of the world and look forward to continuing this journey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: On the road, Canada

I have made it a point in my life to continually venture into the great unknown.

Saturday, April 22, 2017

0-18...

For those of you familiar with the Myers-Briggs, I'm an ENFP *.  I enjoy some time alone, but not much...and definitely not as much as I'm given on a regular basis.

My time in Salt Lake is marked by two very different experiences:

University of Utah...I originally moved to SLC to pursue my master's degree in geography.  If I'm honest, I didn't take my studies that seriously and pursued personal relationships instead.  I have good memories of this time period.

SLCC...After two-and-a-half years of study, I left the Wasatch Front for Peace Corps Uzbekistan.  Because my stint was cut short (evacuated shortly after 9/11), I found myself in Utah once again this time teaching at SLCC.  Life was different as many of my friends had graduated during that time and I was no longer an active member of the student body.

I bring this up because there was a marked difference in the amount of social interaction I had pre and post Peace Corps.  Academia has not been kind to me in that sense.  K-State was a marked period of alone time (although it's tough to complete a PhD in 4.5 yrs without) with Wyoming only intensifying a feeling of being isolated to a point that my mom was concerned about my well being.

A move to Colorado helped, but proved to be a bandaid in the larger picture.

My return to Kansas has me concerned once again about my isolation.  Although I've had enjoyed as much people interaction living in Lawrence for 3 months as I did the previous 18 months in Johnson County (literally), I still spend far too many days alone with no one to talk to...and it's not for a lack of trying.  This week I was 0-18 in finding someone to spend time with.  With one exception (and maybe not even one), the reason was simple: family time.

Living in a city where one doesn't have family and doesn't know of anyone else who doesn't have family is rough...especially for an extrovert.

* The first link identifies Wash as an ENFP.  However, those of you who know me well know I am Malcolm Reynolds to a fault (minus the religion aspect).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home