Saga of a Nomad

I am a recent graduate of landscape studies having explored the folklore of the Northwoods (Paul and Babe). I have been blessed with adventures that have taken me to the far corners of the world and look forward to continuing this journey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: On the road, Canada

I have made it a point in my life to continually venture into the great unknown.

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Top 10 from the 'Digits'...

Last weekend I went to a hockey game in my hometown. Around this time last year, a good friend of mine and I started a tradition: Rush Hockey Men's Night Out! It was a great game!--and not just because we won! I really enjoyed being with the guys again and it was an exciting game with lots of scoring and lots of fighting. But how good was it?

This past week, I stumbled across a list of the best games of the decade. This is a timely list as we are quickly approaching 2010 (and yes, I understand that technically the new decade doesn't start until 2011, but no one cares) and I figured I should create one of my own.

A couple of rules for the list...

1) PLAYOFFS... Regular season games were omitted. This means that games such as last year's Rush debut in which Miquel Beaudry had quite possibly the best performance I've ever seen live and Brett Favre's '03 Monday Night performance in which he threw for 399 yards and 4 TDs shortly after his father's passing were left off the list. As great as they were, they simply don't matter as much in the bigger picture.

2) LIVE... I had to watch these games live. Not necessarily 'in person', but live on TV. Unfortunately (for me), this means that games such as Game 7 from the 2001 Stanley Cup Finals (Avs vs. Devils) and the 2007 Fiesta Bowl (OU vs. Boise State) were omitted.

So, without further ado, here's my Top 10!

2001 World Series Game 7... Yankees suffer. I celebrate. Seriously though, having Randy Johnson and Curt Shilling trade off was something special.

2001-02 Divisional Playoffs... "The Tuck!" But what I like to remember is a Adam Vinatieri's 45 yarder in the snow to send the game into overtime.

2001-02 Super Bowl XXXVI... Mike Martz suffers. I celebrate.

2003 NBA Finals... There are very few games in which I have prayed for more than this one. David Robinson was one of the greats and seeing him win a second NBA Championship was special and silenced many of his critics.

2005-06 Divisional Playoffs... I have never seen one play in which I thought one team was for sure going to seal the deal only to have the other team nearly steal it away. Amazing. You'll have to talk to Ryan for details of my full reaction leading up to this play.

2005-06 Rose Bowl... This may be one of the greatest single game performance I have ever seen. Vince Young literally took over the game in the 4th. Great game.

2007-08 Super Bowl XLII... "The Play": Fourth and forever. Manning escapes a sack and throws a duck of a pass. David Tyree catches the pass using his helmet. One of the craziest plays ever.

2008 Final Four... Kansas, down 9 with just over 2 minutes remaining, comes back to tie the game in dramatic fashion to send it into overtime. My roommate at the time, Vaughn, is a big KU fan and we drove to Lawrence afterwards for the celebration.

Side Note: KU's Final Four victory over UNC was nearly as amazing. The Jayhawks were up 40-12 early, before UNC pulled within 4, only to have KU eventually win by 18.

2008 NBA Finals Game 6... Boston Celtics 131, Kobe (& Co) 92. Need I say more? I seriously couldn't stop smiling after this game.

2009 Stanley Cup Finals Game 7... Fleury's save at the end made this memorable. And in case you don't know me that well... "Pink Wings" suffer. I celebrate!!!

What's on your list?

5 Comments:

Anonymous ryan said...

You forgot to mention the teams involved with the divisional playoff game you mentioned.

4:23 PM  
Blogger The Bearded said...

RYAN...I suppose you're the only one who might know which game I'm referencing.

EVERYONE ELSE...The Divisional Playoff Game I am referencing was Pittsburgh vs. Indianapolis.

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Sis said...

GEEK! To add to the list:
1987 Minnesota Twins with my Favs-Kent Hrbeck and Kirby Puckett! LOVED Kirby!
2007 Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl-awesome game-awesome "statue of liberty" play for the 2 point conversion!
I also liked Adam's field goal in the snow! Maybe he learned how to do that in SD snow???!!!
The Patriots/Giants Super Bowl...did not like so much :( Seriously...a Stupid Manning taking down my undefeated Patriots...no bueno!

10:41 AM  
Blogger Clay said...

Great list. Thanks for sharing. I was watching the Pittsburgh game with my wife. She isn't much of a sports fan so she didn't comprehend how unbelievable that play was and why I fell to the floor in exhaustion after the play was done. I think it shortened the life of Bettis and Cowher by at least five years.

I don't have a top ten but here are a couple more comments.

Boise State: Fiesta Bowl: Awesome!

2006: Bobbled field goal snap by Romo.

2007: Not a playoff game nor just one game but winning 21 of 22 games was a fun ride with the Rockies.

Finally, this has nothing to do with great games and this isn't nice to say but I like the fact that Jay Cutler leads the league in interceptions.

10:25 AM  
Blogger The Bearded said...

GEEK...Kirby was pretty amazing. Too bad his career, and life, were cut short.

CLAYTON...I agree with you on the Cowher and Bettis comment. Wow. I also agree with your additions.

Everyone still talks about that OU-Boise game. Someday I should watch it in its entirety.

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home