Saga of a Nomad

I am a recent graduate of landscape studies having explored the folklore of the Northwoods (Paul and Babe). I have been blessed with adventures that have taken me to the far corners of the world and look forward to continuing this journey.

My Photo
Name:
Location: On the road, Canada

I have made it a point in my life to continually venture into the great unknown.

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Careful what you wish for...

My life is a joke. This week has gotten to the point that I can only laugh.

As mentioned in my previous post, weather threw a monkey-wrench into my plans for the week. I figured I would make the most of it by going to church (24th), snowshoeing (25th), and a hockey game (26th) to fill my time. How little did I know that this was all just a dream.

December 24th...There's a first time for everything!
I figured I might see someone at church and I would enjoy some fellowship with them that evening that might even spill into a Christmas Day invite. Yes, it was a longshot as the only people I know there who are in town are in their 70s, but some company is better than no company. Right?

As I was leaving the house for the Christmas Eve service, I realized I had locked myself out. With no way of getting to church on time, I stopped by an apartment where some Saudis live to wait until someone could come unlock my apartment. This actually wasn't that bad. I really did enjoy visiting with them.

Note: This is the highlight of my week.

December 25th...I'm a snowshoeing machine!
...or so I thought. There was a very sharp wind that day and because of this there were significant snowdrifts forming on the streets in town. I decided to make the most of it and try snowshoeing in town. The windchill was a bit much, so I only was out there for 20-30 minutes before deciding to head off to a truck stop to see if food was being served.

I passed up one truck stop where there's a fast-food joint to hit one where there's a more established restaurant. I didn't know if it would be open, but at the time it sounded better than a greasy burger. I wish I would have stopped for a Frosty.

The restaurant at the second truck stop was packed! And I mean packed! As I was walking through, I saw someone I knew and stopped to share the meal with him.

Remember that bit about longing for company? Famous last words.

He's a retired professor who I often see at the coffeehouses. I have been very desperate for conversation this week, but this was by no means easy for me to sit and share a meal. The reason it was so difficult is because this guy creeps me out. Plain and simple: he creeps me out. There's a popular animated series on television where there's an older guy who tries to lure in young men. Think this guy. It was bad enough for me I could hardly look him in the eye as we ate (let alone allow him anywhere near my nephews).

He paid for dinner. I felt bad. Well...sorta

December 26th..."This is OUR time!!!"
My long awaited hockey game! The Rapid City Rush vs the Colorado Eagles! Ryan had an extra ticket and because my mom wasn't able to make the game, I gave my 2 extra tickets (the ones my mom and I were going to use) away to a barista here in town. I couldn't wait for this! Finally a break that would surely go my way! Even if the Rush didn't win, it would still be hockey.

The game was cancelled because of weather.

I'm not sure what I'll be doing for Christmas next year. Heck, I don't even know what country I'll be spending Christmas in next year. But I do know I won't be doing this again.

1 Comments:

Anonymous ryan said...

If anybody could use a new year, it's you.

6:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home